Powerglide In Fg Turbo? Yes Or No ?

AtomiCg6

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6d

Heyy guys Im building up g6e atm and cant figure out wat gearbox to go for ?

Im thinking of the T400 but few ppl are also telling me to put a glide in it, for racing ?

the car will be driven on the rd couple times a wk at the least, So not sure if a glide would be subtable for it, My mechanic has reconmended the 2 speed

but I would also like more opinions with guys with similar cars and power levels, around 450wkw ?? thanks

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 8d

Agree totally with Andrewd. Mate unless the thing was a flood write-off why destroy a G6 like that? Does it not have a motor or tranz now? If it's a good car, it would be worth next to nothing with a glide installed. The only way you'd ever get your money back would be to burn it!

If you do seriously want to go down this path, stick with the ZF and get it modded mate. People are playing with these a bit now and I'm sure you should be able to find someone that can make it bullet proof plus give you some form of normal driving characteristics.

• Donating Members

Thanks for your input guys, but I defently wanna ditch the zf, dont think it will handle the power I will be making eventually, Also dont think I will be selling the car anytime soon as im in love with it, and when I do I will buy a standard motor and will put the zf bak into it :)

The motors at Atomic engines atm getting a 698 long rebuild, and a gtx42r and will be running on E85 and pump fuel, so there defently is alot of money going into it so I wanna do it right from the start and only once :)

I just wanted to know if ppl knew how 2 speeds are with the fg, and if there ugly to drive and if there abit laggy off the line,

• Donating Members

Good luck with it mate. Does my head in but good with it luck all the same - must be getting too old :spoton:

• Member For: 18y 2m 22d

If your interested I curretly have a Powerglide with converter that came out of a BA/BF and also a GT4202R setup from ETM with everything. I enjoyed the few kms on the street I did with the powerglide, just took it fairly easy would use 1st gear upto 60km then bump it in to top anything above that and just cruise it around on the converter.

• Donating Members

thanks mate, was the box and turbo in the blue ford that's gone 9.39?

thing is im in melb, would rather get a box built with warranty, I think, but for a good price I would have some1 look into it

the turbo on the other hand sounds like a good idea, wat does it come with ??

and how much, is it the 1000hp 42??

ahh wat diff gears and converter were u running and did u use nos to get it off the line ??

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 2d

Thanks for your input guys, but I defently wanna ditch the zf, dont think it will handle the power I will be making eventually, Also dont think I will be selling the car anytime soon as im in love with it, and when I do I will buy a standard motor and will put the zf bak into it :)

The motors at Atomic engines atm getting a 698 long rebuild, and a gtx42r and will be running on E85 and pump fuel, so there defently is alot of money going into it so I wanna do it right from the start and only once :)

I just wanted to know if ppl knew how 2 speeds are with the fg, and if there ugly to drive and if there abit laggy off the line,

Hey Mate,

I have the same motor and turbo in my FG that you are looking at. ZF is fine on the pump tune, but it does struggle on the E85 tune. However, I am still running the standard ZF. Will be getting mine built soon. Depending on your driving style and your plans for the car, I think well built ZF should be more than capable.

I do know another FG F6 ute that will be getting glide put in it shortly. But he is more focused on a track set up than street.

Cheers

Ben

• Donating Members

cheers Ben.

So your running a standard zf?

see my driving style is pretty rough lol, I do drive it pretty hard, then again I blew a piston ring after 20 thousand km's :(

and that's when it was making 377kw, so not sure wat went wrong

I heard u cant put a converter in the zf's yet ?

and its pretty expensive to build 1 to handle say 1000hp right?

Have u raced yours with the zf and wat power are u making on pump??

cheers johnny

• Donating Members
:stupid: With a high stall and full manual it will be a pig to drive and guzzle fuel like there's no tomorrow. A mate had one in his HT Monaro with a 3 grand stall and even in an old school car it was boring as faark to drive. Fine for track but hardly daily driver stuff and definately not in a street trimmed G6 IMO. Good luck all the same mate. Edited by bomber