Mercury-BA Member 15 Member For: 17y 5m 15d Gender: Male Location: Dampier, WA Posted 19/11/09 12:47 AM Posted 19/11/09 12:47 AM G'day guys,Whilst driving the T last night, I went to give it a squirt coming out of a corner only to find that the turbo didnt spool up. I continued putting my foot down trying to get some boost but nothing. There was a very slight turbo whistle when I got into higher RPM but for the most part there was nothing. It felt like driving a naturally aspirated car. I am assuming the turbo itself is ok considering there was no hint of the engine sucking the compressor fragments through, and there was no unusual noises from the car before this happened. The car had been having no trouble boosting or running earlier in the night, however I went to give it a go and she kinda skipped a beat. It was definatly the engine itself that skipped, not the turbo at all so I merely assumed it was considering I had f*ck all fuel and it felt like it was starving, so from there I limped it to the fuel station, put in its regular premium with octane booster but yes, no turbo from that point on.The only hypothosis I have come up with so far is that some how my wastegate is being held open, by say a sticky actuator, causing all exhaust gasses to bypass the turbine, but I am not really sure how to test this with out pulling my turbo and exhaust apart.If there were loose hoses or intake pipes, then I would still here intake noise and turbo whistle but the car would get spiking/dulled power so yes, it doesnt feel like that.Like I said, it just feels like there is no turbo there at all. The car is modifyed, bluepower tune, exhaust, intercooler, boosted to 8psi but apart from that its stock.Anyone heard or experienced anything like this? Its the strangest thing and I havent seen any other posts that deal with this specific problem. Any help would be fantastic!!
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 13d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 19/11/09 12:56 AM Posted 19/11/09 12:56 AM first thing would be take the intake pipe off the turbo and give the turbine wheel a spin to make sure it is ok and hasn't seized for some reason , if that's ok then it might be the actuator
Mercury-BA Member 15 Member For: 17y 5m 15d Gender: Male Location: Dampier, WA Posted 19/11/09 02:17 AM Author Posted 19/11/09 02:17 AM Where do I find the actuator? This may be a dumb question lol, but yeah is it reasonably to find or is it inside of my turbo?
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 13d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 19/11/09 02:28 AM Posted 19/11/09 02:28 AM (edited) the actual actuator is the gold round thing under the turbo has a vacuum line going too it , but the flapper and its control arm are inside the exhuast sect of the turbo , just depends wich bit may be playing up , is the turbo still spinning free when you use your hand to spin itthe boost solinoid is another part of the system follow the hose from the actuator back to the solinoid and have a look at that too , Edited 19/11/09 02:30 AM by our06t
Gee Member 131 Member For: 17y 5m 26d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/11/09 09:15 AM Posted 19/11/09 09:15 AM On the ba turbo's ford had a quiet fix were they welded a sleeve to the body of the turbo housing to get the wastegate to close. When this weld brakes the wastegate stays open causing no boost. This could be possible the problem.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now