Jump to content

Replacing Rear Cv's (mainly Needed A How-to Remove Them Tutorial)


Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 5m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ipswich, QLD
Posted

Hey guys,

So, back when my car was really low, its rubbed out the CV boot's (just the boots as far as I can tell) and has leaked out a fair bit of grease.

Because the search feature wont search anything under 3 characters long, I cant search 'CV replacement' - so anyone who has done this, is there a tutorial on how to drop out the CV's so I can either replace them, or have the boots done.

I was concerned that they have pressed in bearings, and isnt a DIY job? I have access to a hoist at an exhaust shop so I can get under the car - if I need specialist tools, what are the chances of an exhaust shop having them? If I need specialist tools, what are they so I can ask?

Thanks in advance crew :)

  • Like 1
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m 16d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

to remove the axles from the car you will need to remove the whole rear hub.

I would start by cracking the bif nut where the axle meets the hub. I hammered a 35mm socket onto it but use the slightly bigger imperial socket if you like. it will need to be a deep socket.

next up you have to remove the hub from the car. a quick peek under there will give you an idea of what to remove. there are a few braces etc both top and bottom to remove, and of course the caliper needs to come off. remove the shock and with a slight tug you should be able to pull the axle and hub free from the diff. dont forget to remove the handbrake cable.

after you have the hub and axle free fully remove the big nut on the end of the axle, dose it in wd40 and knock it free with a hammer. easiest way to do this is get a mate to hold the hub just high enough so the diff end of the axle is hanging in the air and you smack it with a hammer.

alot of the nuts under the car are nylocks so you may want to replace them when putting it all back together. I was also told that the big nut on the end of the axle is single use only, but I re-used them and they are fine.

once the axle is out take it to a shop I guess. I have no idea how to actually replace the cv's on the axle.

its a full day job to remove and replace both axles.

good luck mate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...