aniken I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Legacy Donating Member 4,316 Member For: 23y 9m 10d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, south west Posted 08/08/03 02:07 AM Author Posted 08/08/03 02:07 AM Sometimes the box won't go back a gear, need to shift it 2 sometimes 3 times before it will go down a gear. I've put this down to me going to fast and there must be some cut out to stop it shifting back at too higher speed in case of engine/tranny damage. This is what I concluded also - there must be a fail safe mechanism that prevents it from going from, say, 3rd to 2nd or, especially, 2nd to 1st, if you are going over certain speeds.
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 23y 11m 19d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 08/08/03 02:09 AM Posted 08/08/03 02:09 AM I think its 65kmp/h going from 2nd into first.
ducatijb Legacy Donating Member 3,448 Member For: 23y 5m 26d Gender: Male Location: sydney Posted 08/08/03 03:05 AM Posted 08/08/03 03:05 AM I use sss to brake all the time, I tend to go for a downshift before the brake every time (used to manuals )Shouldnt do any damage, and if I does I'll throw the keys at the dealer and get them to fix it, advantages of new car warranty, it doesnt say anywhere in the manual not to use it to slow down. as above
HellionXR6T I'm Back!! Thats right, long over due! :) Legacy Donating Member 4,348 Member For: 23y 10m 26d Gender: Male Location: West Brisbane Posted 08/08/03 03:38 AM Posted 08/08/03 03:38 AM Brake shudder happening again here too!!!!! I'm doing the same thing, relying more on SSS from 4th to 3rd & 3rd to 2nd until it can be fixed.Very annoyed that the shudder is back..Currently having an arguement with Ford.....(Gee new revelation there)!!!.....I'm seeing if they will replace the rotors for the up market ones, I pay the difference at "COST" price. If they agree, cool, if they don't, well I guess a Phantom N/A will be driving into a particular showroom where I say "Here it is...AGAIN....Shove your car".
sport Member 62 Member For: 23y 5m 9d Posted 08/08/03 04:04 AM Posted 08/08/03 04:04 AM I agree with NT TURBO. Being an ex mechanic, I have always used the brakes as it is a whole lot easier and cheaper to fix brakes than a trans. Also if you develop this method as a habit, you may end up in the "sh*t" one day particularly in the wet on a windy road as it will only apply braking to the rear wheels with no ABS and if you are going down hill and the weight is over the front wheels it could be a bit dodgey.
Guest BlackMagic Guests Posted 08/08/03 05:14 AM Posted 08/08/03 05:14 AM I sometimes use the gears to slow down in my auto, but usually if I'm doing a high speed stop or slow down for a corner. Problem is sometimes the box won't go back a gear, need to shift it 2 sometimes 3 times before it will go down a gear. I've put this down to me going to fast and there must be some cut out to stop it shifting back at too higher speed in case of engine/tranny damage. I must check this out again on the weekend as I seem to recall this wasn't always the go. Yep, same over this way. Much much easier to go around a corner by sh*ting down and shifting up when coming out or if a quick slow down is required, I feel there's also a bit more control too.But are you sure there's no effect on the warranty Superoo as you said in your post? Must read the 'book' on the weekend to see.
Superoo Member 340 Member For: 23y 10m 28d Gender: Male Posted 08/08/03 05:44 AM Posted 08/08/03 05:44 AM I sometimes use the gears to slow down in my auto, but usually if I'm doing a high speed stop or slow down for a corner. Problem is sometimes the box won't go back a gear, need to shift it 2 sometimes 3 times before it will go down a gear. I've put this down to me going to fast and there must be some cut out to stop it shifting back at too higher speed in case of engine/tranny damage. I must check this out again on the weekend as I seem to recall this wasn't always the go.Yep, same over this way. Much much easier to go around a corner by sh*ting down and shifting up when coming out or if a quick slow down is required, I feel there's also a bit more control too.But are you sure there's no effect on the warranty Superoo as you said in your post? Must read the 'book' on the weekend to see. Straight from the manual in reference to selecting 2nd gear:2 = SecondThis gear should be selected for ascending or descending steepgrades or for responsive acceleration or increased engine braking. 2will be displayed on the instrument cluster display.
mercturbo Member 696 Member For: 23y 6m 12d Location: Geelong Posted 08/08/03 07:22 AM Posted 08/08/03 07:22 AM I never use or have used any transmission for braking except for steep decents with trailers, loads etc, as I thought that's what brakes are for, maybe its wrong I don't know, just what a couple of mechanics told me its extra wear and tear on the tranny, the trouble with warranties is they run out and if you keep the car and the wear you create during warranty causes a failure after warranty then it could be expensive, would love to hear expert mechanic opinion on this please.
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 19d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 08/08/03 07:25 AM Posted 08/08/03 07:25 AM I agree with NT TURBO. Being an ex mechanic, I have always used the brakes as it is a whole lot easier and cheaper to fix brakes than a trans. Also if you develop this method as a habit, you may end up in the "sh*t" one day particularly in the wet on a windy road as it will only apply braking to the rear wheels with no ABS and if you are going down hill and the weight is over the front wheels it could be a bit dodgey. Taking the argument to an extreme aren't you? I really can't foresee anybody with half a driver's brain believing that if they use the gears to slow down then they won't have to, at some time, apply the foot brake as well.I'm not an ex-mechanic, I'm still practising, and one day I might get good at it LOL, and IMO the gears are absolutely necessary for assisting in slowing the car, ANY CAR. The operative word is "assisting".The SSS is designed to be used this way so why waste it???There are safety cutouts that will not allow the trans to downshift above redline, and also to ensure the trans always selects first gear when the car comes to a complete stop.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now