our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 22/10/08 06:05 AM Posted 22/10/08 06:05 AM (edited) ok ordered the new shocks to go with the springs I have ,I would really like to fit them myself as I have taken the easy way out and had other sets fitted in the past,now I have the manual but want to double check I'm not goin to kill my self takin the springs out,it says you dont need to apply the spring compressers until the whole unit is removed from the car ,ie remove strut from vehicle then apply spring compressers before losening the the cap attached to the top of shockany tips would be greatthanks again guys this site just gives you that extra bit of confidence you need to takle a job I might otherwise put in the to hard bin Edited 22/10/08 06:06 AM by our06t
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 13d Gender: Male Posted 22/10/08 06:29 AM Posted 22/10/08 06:29 AM I used spring compressors and it wasn't too bad. just make sure they are on the spring properly and is perfectly safe. I put them onto the spring while it was still on the car, but I didn't have the manual so I just made it up as I went along!
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 22/10/08 06:32 AM Author Posted 22/10/08 06:32 AM thanks mate
mercuryturbo Oh look.... a real car, with no hair dryer Legacy Donating Member 1,724 Member For: 20y 1m 26d Gender: Male Location: Fear and Loathing in Callala Bay Posted 22/10/08 06:44 AM Posted 22/10/08 06:44 AM I used spring compressors and it wasn't too bad. just make sure they are on the spring properly and is perfectly safe. I put them onto the spring while it was still on the car, but I didn't have the manual so I just made it up as I went along! I used elcheapo spring compressors & it was a scary, scary experience. Watching the compressors bend while tightening them was truly terrifying.
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 22/10/08 07:03 AM Author Posted 22/10/08 07:03 AM (edited) so get I better get resonable compressers , maybe off the car is the go then won't be so much to compressps you wouldn't have a copy of fear and loathing ya could send me would ya Edited 22/10/08 07:05 AM by our06t
mercuryturbo Oh look.... a real car, with no hair dryer Legacy Donating Member 1,724 Member For: 20y 1m 26d Gender: Male Location: Fear and Loathing in Callala Bay Posted 22/10/08 07:11 AM Posted 22/10/08 07:11 AM ps you wouldn't have a copy of fear and loathing ya could send me would yaHaha, pm me your address & I'll send one up to you
trevs Member 781 Member For: 19y 5m 15d Gender: Male Location: balmain Posted 22/10/08 07:27 AM Posted 22/10/08 07:27 AM you can hire really good ones from kennards for about 15 bucks that's what ill be using when I change the springs in my car
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 22/10/08 07:31 AM Author Posted 22/10/08 07:31 AM really that's a champion tip mate
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 13d Gender: Male Posted 22/10/08 08:14 AM Posted 22/10/08 08:14 AM (edited) yea, mine got a bit of flex.. pretty dodgy hahaha Edited 22/10/08 08:15 AM by XR06T
Cashie Legacy Donating Member 663 Member For: 23y 8m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 22/10/08 09:41 PM Posted 22/10/08 09:41 PM When I was pricing my shock replacement, the guy at Pedders warned me that the BA/BF front springs are biatches to get out (something about the physical size of the coils etc).The guy I got to do the job actually broke one of his compressors doing the job...Basically, be careful...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now