antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 14d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 03/08/08 08:15 AM Posted 03/08/08 08:15 AM (edited) Hey guysMy car has been running fine, however today, I decided to tighten up all the manifold and turbo bolts, and clean out the boost solenoid.Anyway, when I give it a bit, and the turbo spools up, the car cuts out at around 3500rpm, and the exhaust coughs and gargles. I noticed a puff of smoke coming out of the exhaust too. The car doesn't die or anything like that, it continues to run, but at a lower RPM coz I back off.Is this what we call 'overboost'? I have recently installed an aftermarket intercooler and removed the centre muffler. I'm also running a 2nd typhoon CAI with a unifilter pod in the airbox.Like I said, before I tightened up the manifold and cleaned the boost solenoid the car was running fine, albeit a little slow... Hence why I decided to clean the solenoid.I've read on the forums that overboost doesn't occur with the mods I've got, however an exhaust shop a few weeks ago said that my cat may have been hollowed out... I didn't do it myself, however I took his word for it. Could this be contributing to the problem?But again, these mods were all the same before I cleaned the solenoid out... Any help would be great. The car is drivable, but I can't give it a bootfull basically.CheersDave Edited 03/08/08 08:30 AM by antigravity
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 14d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 03/08/08 09:12 AM Author Posted 03/08/08 09:12 AM Just took it for a quick spin then, and it's not cutting out anymore... what the?Am I going crazzzy? :banghead:
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 12d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 03/08/08 10:56 AM Posted 03/08/08 10:56 AM What boost is it maxing at?Usually, upgrading the cat can cause boost increase, may or may not hit boost cut though
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 14d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 03/08/08 11:53 AM Author Posted 03/08/08 11:53 AM What boost is it maxing at?Usually, upgrading the cat can cause boost increase, may or may not hit boost cut thoughI don't have a boost gauge, so I'm only going by the fact I can hear it boosting then cutting out at around 3500rpm...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now