Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD
Posted (edited)

Hey guys

My car has been running fine, however today, I decided to tighten up all the manifold and turbo bolts, and clean out the boost solenoid.

Anyway, when I give it a bit, and the turbo spools up, the car cuts out at around 3500rpm, and the exhaust coughs and gargles. I noticed a puff of smoke coming out of the exhaust too. The car doesn't die or anything like that, it continues to run, but at a lower RPM coz I back off.

Is this what we call 'overboost'?

I have recently installed an aftermarket intercooler and removed the centre muffler. I'm also running a 2nd typhoon CAI with a unifilter pod in the airbox.

Like I said, before I tightened up the manifold and cleaned the boost solenoid the car was running fine, albeit a little slow... Hence why I decided to clean the solenoid.

I've read on the forums that overboost doesn't occur with the mods I've got, however an exhaust shop a few weeks ago said that my cat may have been hollowed out... I didn't do it myself, however I took his word for it. Could this be contributing to the problem?

But again, these mods were all the same before I cleaned the solenoid out...

Any help would be great. The car is drivable, but I can't give it a bootfull basically.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by antigravity
  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD
Posted

Just took it for a quick spin then, and it's not cutting out anymore... what the?

Am I going crazzzy? :banghead:

  • Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 4m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Posted

What boost is it maxing at?

Usually, upgrading the cat can cause boost increase, may or may not hit boost cut though

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD
Posted
What boost is it maxing at?

Usually, upgrading the cat can cause boost increase, may or may not hit boost cut though

I don't have a boost gauge, so I'm only going by the fact I can hear it boosting then cutting out at around 3500rpm...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...