adamw Member 143 Member For: 22y 2m 23d Location: Darwin Posted 27/05/07 11:23 AM Posted 27/05/07 11:23 AM (edited) Hi AllJust thought I'd introduce myself and also had some questions about mods. I have posted on this forum before on the quest to find myself a good T. I ended up buying a late 2006 BF2 demo from Bayford in Melbourne with 18's and premium sound. I am buying it sight unseen but they assure me it is in "as new" condition and unmarked although I am not flying down to verify it myself. The car should be in Darwin sometime in the next 2 weeks (it is currently on the journey from Melbourne to Adelaide).Anyway, to more important things.As a BF2, would I be correct in thinking valve springs don't need to be changed when modifying? Is the motor generally tougher than the previous models - I did read somewhere that it is now the same short motor as the typhoon? What differences are there other than beefier valve springs?I like a car to be responsive, and I'm not really interested in peaky power delivery anymore (I'm used to 2.0L turbos). I guess when modifying the T it will remain responsive courtesy of a a big motor with a big turbo hanging off the side? with a T do you generally sacrifice any low down power for say.. a 50% gain over stock?I don't know what the standard car will put down on the dyno (and I know it varies widely from dyno to dyno) but I would like around 50% more power than stock. It's a 6sp auto and I understand a healthy one might put down 200rwkw on an average dyno. So I guess I'm aiming for the 300rwkw mark. I've been reading a lot of the technical threads and am thinking the following mods should get me there without sacrificing driveability or increasing noise to annoying levels etc:1. 4inch cat2. Monza cooler3. 2nd CAI4. Injectors5. Custom tuneI would like a safe tune due to the heat up here - I may end up investing in a better intercooler if I can find some info that shows it performing better than the Monza.I am really going to struggle with #5. From what I understand there is only one tuner up here with the ability to custom tune the CAPA flash tuner. I am not really interested in a generic tune unless it is a really safe tune, and I would then go and verify it on the dyno to ensure the AFRs and boost were reasonable. Is it possible for a tuner to do a tune remotely? I.e. look at logs, send back a new map, look at logs again.. repeat process until satisfied etc? It seems to me that there is no reason why a tune couldn't be done remotely if a local shop with a dyno was willing etc. I assume the tuning is done on a PC (Windows) .. surely the tuner could remote connect (wi-fi internet connection) and do the tune without physically being there. Would be an interesting experiment.Thanks for any input.Adam Edited 27/05/07 11:26 AM by adamw
Guest Guests Posted 27/05/07 11:33 AM Posted 27/05/07 11:33 AM I'm pretty sure that Simon from Xtreme Ford Tuning has had people send him their CAPA modules from the other side of the country for him to do what he does so well - so that should take care of #5 for you.The rest of what you propose is pretty well right on the money my friend. You've made a good choice in vehicles.
adamw Member 143 Member For: 22y 2m 23d Location: Darwin Posted 27/05/07 11:34 AM Author Posted 27/05/07 11:34 AM Thank you!!Fantastic, I was not aware it was possible to tune in that manner. What does he do .. just get a whole bunch of logs, then do the tune based on those logs?AdamI'm pretty sure that Simon from Xtreme Ford Tuning has had people send him their CAPA modules from the other side of the country for him to do what he does so well - so that should take care of #5 for you.The rest of what you propose is pretty well right on the money my friend. You've made a good choice in vehicles.
mbjunior99 Member 4,359 Member For: 23y 9m 15d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 27/05/07 11:36 AM Posted 27/05/07 11:36 AM In that list that you provided, the only thing I would change is probably the intercooler. All good otherwise
Guest Guests Posted 27/05/07 11:49 AM Posted 27/05/07 11:49 AM Thank you!!Fantastic, I was not aware it was possible to tune in that manner. What does he do .. just get a whole bunch of logs, then do the tune based on those logs?AdamGive him a call as he would be the best one to answer all your questions. All Simon's contact details are here as he's a site sponsor. If you cannot fine then PM me and I'll get off my lazy butt and dig out one of his cards for ya.
groper Member 611 Member For: 19y 8m 7d Posted 27/05/07 09:56 PM Posted 27/05/07 09:56 PM your spot on with everything you say mate, except I would invest in a better intercooler as its arguably the most important piece of gear your going to upgrade, not just for power but engine safety/longevity... esp in darwin heat... maybe add a fuel pump aswell, depends on your luck with your stock one...im very interested to hear about remote tuning aswell as im in cairns... ill start another thread in the ECU section as I believe it wont get answered well here...
TornadoJudd Legacy Donating Member 818 Member For: 20y 7m 23d Posted 27/05/07 10:27 PM Posted 27/05/07 10:27 PM The MONZA or WOG cooler is the best value for money cooler you can buy IMO. Although I agree with Groper buy the best cooler you can afford. WOG cooler if not wanting to spend to much or maybe a Process West cooler if you want to spend a little more. Have you thought about a water to air intercooler?
TornadoJudd Legacy Donating Member 818 Member For: 20y 7m 23d Posted 27/05/07 10:29 PM Posted 27/05/07 10:29 PM By the way welcome to the forum mate
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now