nixon Member 6 Member For: 19y 6m 13d Posted 28/03/07 01:18 AM Posted 28/03/07 01:18 AM hello everyone, I've just registered not too long ago and have been very intrigued by all the postings and have found it most helpful to me. I recently bought a 2ndh xr6T Mk2 with 40k and took it straight to the only mod shop where I live. I had put in larger injectors, HD valve springs, fuel pump and had it "custom tuned" with CAPA flash tune. The out put was 230kw at the wheels, the tuner himself was not too impressed by it and believes it could be my actuator not working properly. he reckons he could get out 250kw easily, however, with mine, he spent 2 days just to get 230, mind you he had his apprentices working on it. When I took it home, he did not tell me what settings, eg boost, he had it tuned to, nor did he leave other tunes installed onto my flash tuner. Could what he says be true about the actuator, or am I getting ripped off here, or is it, he just does not have the skill to tune properly and with these mods what should I be getting out of it. I've also jsut installed a boost gauge and it peaks at 15psi, is that normal ? Can some one give me some advice please Thank guys
sargo Member 107 Member For: 20y 20d Location: Brisneyland Posted 28/03/07 01:21 AM Posted 28/03/07 01:21 AM Welcome Nixon, sounds low for the mods you have, where are you located? can you post up your dyno charts?
mbjunior99 Member 4,359 Member For: 23y 9m 5d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 28/03/07 01:22 AM Posted 28/03/07 01:22 AM First of all to the forum and congratulations on the new ride 15 PSI sounds a very high boost level for the sort of power. Any more details on the car, auto or manual?Where about's are you located?
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 4m 25d Location: Canberra Posted 28/03/07 02:02 AM Posted 28/03/07 02:02 AM Is your boost gauge a good one? My understanding is that most of them are pretty unreliable. But yes, if it really is at 15psi, your result does sound a little on the low side, especially given that you have larger injectors. Bear in mind that autos will tend to read a bit lower too, and you haven't mentioned what you have. Also, whilst it's a good move to fit the HD valve springs, it's also quite a costly exercise and something most people do after fitting a larger intercooler, for example, which will probably give you more bang for your buck at this stage. Either way, good luck with modding your car and welcome to the forum!
nixon Member 6 Member For: 19y 6m 13d Posted 28/03/07 04:42 AM Author Posted 28/03/07 04:42 AM Is your boost gauge a good one? My understanding is that most of them are pretty unreliable. But yes, if it really is at 15psi, your result does sound a little on the low side, especially given that you have larger injectors. Bear in mind that autos will tend to read a bit lower too, and you haven't mentioned what you have. Also, whilst it's a good move to fit the HD valve springs, it's also quite a costly exercise and something most people do after fitting a larger intercooler, for example, which will probably give you more bang for your buck at this stage. Either way, good luck with modding your car and welcome to the forum! I have a 4 speed auto and I will be getting a wog cooler installed very soon. its a standard gauge and I thought it may have been the gauge so I removed it and refitted the hoses again and it read exactly the same, point is I had no reference point to compare it to, that is the tuner did not specify what psi my car was tuned to. I live in the far north of Queensland
nixon Member 6 Member For: 19y 6m 13d Posted 28/03/07 04:43 AM Author Posted 28/03/07 04:43 AM Welcome Nixon, sounds low for the mods you have, where are you located? can you post up your dyno charts?unfortunately I don't have one
nixon Member 6 Member For: 19y 6m 13d Posted 28/03/07 04:45 AM Author Posted 28/03/07 04:45 AM First of all to the forum and congratulations on the new ride 15 PSI sounds a very high boost level for the sort of power. Any more details on the car, auto or manual?Where about's are you located? thanks mateynorth qld and 4 speed auto
ENVY-T CNUTOX Legacy Donating Member 3,098 Member For: 23y 8m 22d Gender: Male Location: Not sure? Posted 28/03/07 05:09 AM Posted 28/03/07 05:09 AM Make a trip to someone in the lower part of QLD. Your tuner doesn't have the initials BR does he? If so let him stick with the old cars and get to a real shop. With a wogcooler and nothing else, I have 245rwkws on my daily tune.
Guest Guests Posted 28/03/07 05:37 AM Posted 28/03/07 05:37 AM With injectors, pump and tune my car made 270rwkw but the standard valve springs weren't holding up so it was backed off to 250. Next I did cooler, dump pipe, cat and when it was retuned it made 300+ easily still on standard valve springs.You can have all the best bolt ons but in the end it comes down to your tune. If it's not done right your going to lack power and most importantly your engine/turbo will suffer. I'd be going to a reputable tuner to have things checked out if I were you just to be safe.Good luck with it all mate
1stT Member 63 Member For: 20y 7m 15d Gender: Male Posted 28/03/07 11:26 AM Posted 28/03/07 11:26 AM I would think for 250kw you shouldn't be making more than 8 to 10 psi. Nowhere near 15. I would be definately looking for a 2nd opinion from a reputable tuner. Oh and
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now