Lightning Member 335 Member For: 23y 8m 20d Location: Perth, Western Australia Posted 20/05/03 12:11 PM Posted 20/05/03 12:11 PM Hi all,Not good news tonight. The major problem is that my new car (less than a week old) is parked down at the local shops (400m away) and I am unable to start it. Drove home fine, in the pouring rain, stopped off at the supermarket and started okay after that, forgot something so stopped at the local deli and got back in it less than a minute later and it just won't crank. There's a weird clicking noise every second from the fuse area and it just won't play. Walked home, tried the 2nd set of keys in case it was the key, but no go. The red hand (immobiliser symbol) goes out if you leave it on accessories, but comes back on when you move the key to start, but so does the orange engine symbol which, according to the manual indicates a throttle system error.The weird thing is, if you crank up the fan blower, the ABS light then comes on. Not happy Jan. Ford Assist were good, there's a mechanic coming over shortly (I had some things to do beforehand that I couldn't put off) and they will tow it home for overnight and then pickup in the morning to take to the dealer.Spoke to the dealer, he reckons it's the keys have gone out of synch with the codes or something, don't really know if that sounds right.Also, the Premuim Sounds turns itself off and on every so often, no ryhme or reason, AM / FM / CD, makes no difference. Apparently it's a known fault so that will be fixed as well.So, all in all, it's a crap night. The only saving grace is that I fly out for Brisbane tomorrow for a week, giving plenty of time for it to be fixed.Lightning..... Grrrrr.....
saleen Big Gun Legacy Donating Member 4,170 Member For: 23y 11m 26d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 20/05/03 12:20 PM Posted 20/05/03 12:20 PM Not good news mate. Theres a few stories getting around now about non-starting xr6t's. Oh well, like you said, at least they've got pleanty of time to fix it.Rob
Guest turbo dave Guests Posted 20/05/03 12:23 PM Posted 20/05/03 12:23 PM dont know whats wrong with your car but it sounds like a minor problemwhat I can tell you is the weather here in brissy is fine and sunnywe expect another high of 30 tomorrow
Lightning Member 335 Member For: 23y 8m 20d Location: Perth, Western Australia Posted 20/05/03 12:27 PM Author Posted 20/05/03 12:27 PM dont know whats wrong with your car but it sounds like a minor problemwhat I can tell you is the weather here in brissy is fine and sunnywe expect another high of 30 tomorrow The Ford Assist people think it may be as simple as requiring a jumpstart, though I don't think so. Doesn't sound or look like a flat battery.Good to hear the weather's fine. Staying in Brissy for Thursday and Friday, then the weekend and then heading to the Gold Coast for a 3 day conference. Life's tough. I'll bring my short sleeved shirts.Lightning....
Lightning Member 335 Member For: 23y 8m 20d Location: Perth, Western Australia Posted 20/05/03 12:50 PM Author Posted 20/05/03 12:50 PM Wondered how long it would take before this was moved B) Anyway:Credit where credit's due: The car's running again. The Roadside Assist guy turned up, told him the symptoms and he said "Flat Battery". Told him I was dubious, but he was sure. So, a quick drive to the car, he listened, was even more sure, got his litle portable box of tricks out, 3rd go (problem finding a good earth in the wet engine bay, I think), she cranked fine. About to go for a run up the freeway, mainly 'cos I feel like it So, store that one away for future reference. Lightning.... PS: 11.4 on the multimeter.
NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 21d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 20/05/03 11:39 PM Posted 20/05/03 11:39 PM There was one up here (in the NT) and whilst being driven along a major road the car suddenly decided the keys in the ignition didn't match and the car came to a sudden stop (lucky nothing was up his rear), it needed reprograming
Lightning Member 335 Member For: 23y 8m 20d Location: Perth, Western Australia Posted 29/05/03 12:15 PM Author Posted 29/05/03 12:15 PM Hi all,I thought some of you may be interested in an update. I got back from Brisbane last night and tried to start the car this morning. No go, at all. Dead, baby!So, rang Roadside Assist and they turned up about 30 mins later and jump started it for me with no problems. 10 volts was the battery reading. The guy told me to leave it running for 20 mins or so, in the carport and then drive into the city (20 mins thereabouts) and "she'll be right".Well, I was on the phone about 20 mins later (in the house) and the car stops. Bugga. So, I rang 'em back and 2 hours later (long story), they rocked up again. A different guy this time. In the meantime, I'd called the dealer and booked it in, with the plan to drive it down there and leave it until 'sorted'. No probs, even arranged a loan car.But, this guy wasn't satisfied with just starting it and checked the battery after he'd jumped it and, lo and behold, no charge from the alternator. Yup, you guess it, a loose cable where the battery lead connects to the alternator. So, after jacking it up and performing aerobics to get to it, tightened up, went for a 45 min drive and all is sweet.Thanks Roadside Assistance, credit where credit's due!Simon....
Guest Craig Guests Posted 29/05/03 11:48 PM Posted 29/05/03 11:48 PM Pity they didn't determine that the first time huh .... oh well better fixed now than not at all
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now