JB Forum Superhero Legacy Donating Member 3,109 Member For: 22y 10m 14d Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico Posted 21/02/05 01:15 AM Posted 21/02/05 01:15 AM Well it seems to be common practice at the moment.I am not very happy about it, and to be open and honest very embarrassed and emotional about it. As I came into a certain country town this morning out of a 110km/h zone into an 80km/h zone I cruised along at this speed into town, and we then came to a 70 zone which immediately turned into a ‘School 40km/h” zone, I subsequently dropped down the gears and sat just between 40-45km/h no problems.After going through that stage it went back up to 70, then very soon after again it drops down to a school 40km/h, however at this particular crossing there were no flags out, no school kids around, and no crossing supervisor so I stayed at the posted limit only to be pulled over on radar.When talking to the officer I explained that it was not an active or flagged area like the last one, in which he would have seen me slow down for, I was told that it did not matter. I was shown the radar which indicated 67km/h from 200meters, he wrote my details down in his notebook, and as he was doing this there was another officer pulling more people over (2 Hwy patrol cars) it was like a smorgasboard of people unaware that they were doing wrong.He asked all the standard questions and informed me that I was speeding, asked why, and as indicated I said I was not aware and was doing the posted limit. He then informed me that I will get a summons and will loose my licence for 1 Month! I then asked why as it was not 30km/h over the limit to be told that it’s now 25km/h over the limit, another thing that I was unaware of and believe that the government have never advertised.Through the whole process the officer was polite and the conversation was amicable the whole way through. I was so shocked by it all that I did’nt even think why he had not taken off 2km/h for variance or to even bring it down from 27km/h to 25km/h over so I would not loose my licence. My beef is not with the officer but more the whole way the school zone policy is managed and run.I suppose what gets me is I always do slow down for these designated school area’s and was not aware that whether it is posted or not you have to do 40. Driving down the road of this major town each morning there is 6 separate school zones such as this, and all were flagged and manned except for this particular one.The governments implementation of this new law has been appalling to say the least, and I suppose that is what gets me the most. For those that know me, know if I am wrong I am happy to cop it sweet, however this is the first time I feel I have been done wrong by. I have only ever had 3 speeding fines in the 12 years I have been driving, and always for less than 15km/h over the limit (74 in 70 zone Camera Car) was my last one. I do roughly 50,000k’s a year and touch wood have never had an accident, then something stupid like this. As I said if it was flagged and posted no problems I am in the wrong, but to me this seems very dubious.Like Plonky’s advise I will take it to court, but my gripe is purely the fact of how this 40km/h zoning is conducted, it is poorly signed and not dated in terms of holidays etc, which apparently you can get booked even if it’s school holidays!Has anyone got any further advice I can take?Thanks JB.
rapt Legacy Donating Member 317 Member For: 22y 11m 27d Location: gippsland Posted 21/02/05 01:22 AM Posted 21/02/05 01:22 AM Sounds like a set upGo back and take photos of all the crossings that u went throughBad luck mate Id fight that onePS: Marge says u could be in a bit of strifeI dont know the area so it hard to say
Jaymz Member 190 Member For: 22y 10m 3d Location: Noosa Posted 21/02/05 01:29 AM Posted 21/02/05 01:29 AM Sounds like its not as clear as up here in QLD. Our school zones are specifically for school days only not holidays or public holidays, and are for certain hours in the morning and afternoon, usually 7.30-9.00 and 2.30-3.30. This is irrelevant of flags, crossing guards or even the presence of kids. It is 40km/h for the stated times only and back to the posted limit outside of the school times. Sorry to hear your loss. I also think it is a bit rough for the government to change the law without informing people. They did this up in QLD recently with regards to leaving your car unlocked etc and other stupid rules. They expect people to read newspapers or watch Tv for the rule updates. In my opinion every licence holder should be sent by mail a full list of the new rules each time they change them, for example, I am sure there are some people who have had licenses for 50+ years that never had roundabouts in their day and still do not know how to use them and have never been told.
xlr8ed Phantom lives Member 1,417 Member For: 22y 5m 20d Gender: Male Location: who knows Posted 21/02/05 01:29 AM Posted 21/02/05 01:29 AM Unrucky JBjeff
Lawsy Wanabe mechanical engineer Legacy Donating Member 960 Member For: 22y 24d Gender: Male Location: At the computer, obviously..... Posted 21/02/05 01:45 AM Posted 21/02/05 01:45 AM This sounds a little dodgy, but I don't know the rules in vic.What I grasp so far is this.A school zone has to be flagged or marked in order for it to be in affect.Is this how it is? In nsw, its simply a time. For certain dates in the year (ie, from december to jan its fine, public holidays etc) the zones are the posted limit, but during the specific times, 7 30 to 9 30, 2 30 to 4 30 the 40 limit is applied....So I think this is dodgy as, just another way to get some money out of you, and to ruin your life.... Go labour (would love to know why this stupid state, and yours, keeps voting in labour....).
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 24y 1d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 21/02/05 01:49 AM Posted 21/02/05 01:49 AM NSW is similar to QLD. The 40 zones are during the stated hours and only on school days. BUT there is some debate as to what happens on a so called school day if it is a pupil free day or a school teachers' strike??? Not that the police seem to bother with our school zones here anyway. Most of the mothers drop their kids off in the no stopping zone or bus only areas and then drive off in their landcruisers and pajeros at 70km/h.In the ACT I'm told the 40 zones are 24 hours but I don't know if it is for just school days or seven days a week??? Another strange one.So much for having standard rules for all of Australia - drive over the border and you might as well be in another country.Sorry to hear your woes JB - a hard luck one for sure.
ktford FORD FORD FORD Legacy Donating Member 9,390 Member For: 23y 6m 24d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side Posted 21/02/05 01:49 AM Posted 21/02/05 01:49 AM That sucks JB, sorry to hear budScotty aka stayingsafeinQld
BAturb Member 521 Member For: 21y 10m 27d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 21/02/05 01:52 AM Posted 21/02/05 01:52 AM and yet again another set of rules here in SA you must slow down when there are children present in a school zone regardles of time or day
wicksy still kicking around Member 1,789 Member For: 23y 6m 19d Gender: Male Location: Mackay Posted 21/02/05 01:59 AM Posted 21/02/05 01:59 AM sorry to hear about it JB
OwnaXR6T Member 1,519 Member For: 23y 10m 12d Location: Sydney Australia Posted 21/02/05 02:06 AM Posted 21/02/05 02:06 AM My advise, borrow your wifes car. drive without a liscence its only a month. The way the road rules are getting u have no chance keeping your liscence. So what else can u do?? 25 over limit isnt hard to do. stupid
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now