Traction Control

cdm

• Member For: 21y 5m 17d

Does anyone know how exactly the traction control works and if it could be bad for the engine if its is activated often. I ask this cos I do a lot of "spirited" :thumbsup: driving and the traction control is always cutting in. I just wonder if it could have any long term negative affects on the car.

Guest StaggerLee
  • Guests

Yeah, I thought it cut in and stopped the power being put down. I'm not totally sure though...

If this is the case and whether it does have a negative impact on the engine who knows, but it is better than the alternative.

That is, having your car wrapped around a pole...

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 7d

THE TRACTOIN CONTROL ON THE BA CONTROLS THE INJECTORS AND THE THROTTLE THOUGH THE DRIVE BY WIRE MODE, that's WHY WHEN YOU REALLY GIVE IT HEAPS OUT OF A CORNER LIKE I DO ALOT THE CARS APPEARS TO MISS.

• Member For: 20y 11m 28d

Like iaschmidt said it’s controlled via the electronic throttle. If the wheel speed sensors detect a difference in velocity between the front wheels and the rear then it knows the rear wheels are spinning.

Some cars chop the ignition timing or just shut down a cylinder or two.

• Member For: 21y 5m 17d

Interesting stuff. I sounds kinda like an F1 car when it cuts in. I like it, but it is annoying when you want to have even the slightest bit of fun. At least we can turn it off! :D

• Member For: 20y 11m 26d

No, traction control should have no negative effects on your BA. As stated by some guys above, the power is cut by closing the electronic throttle AND/OR fuel cut AND/OR applying brakes depending on how severe the wheelspin is.

Some lesser aftermarket traction control units can hurt your engine. This happens because they only cut the fuel to maybe one or two or three cylinders, but not cut the spark. This results in the fuel in the cylinder being burned on one cycle, and on the next, the very small residual fuel in the still ignites (albeit with very little resulting power) The reason this is bad is because that cylinder is now running VERY lean, and we all know what happens when you run an engine too lean :(

The BA combats this by cutting fuel to select ALTERNATE cylinders. This way there is ALWAYS fuel in the cylinder and you wont go burning piston tops and valves :thumbsup:

cdm, If I were you, I'd keep planting the right foot mate :D