Fog Lights

scott52

• Member For: 21y 3m 24d

I can think of, maybe two or three times in the last twenty years that fog lights would have been useful here in the "West". I would like to covert the fog lights to driving lights by replacing or modifying the standard fog lights. obviously I would have to rewire so they are only available when the main lights are on high beam.

has anyone got any ideas or suggestions on what I should do?

cheers, scott

Guest raoulc
  • Guests

How different life is here in the NSW/Vic border. Smoke and fog makes it ideal to have fog lights. Fog is an everyday occurence in winter and lately smoke. The fog lights are designed for that reason and are placed low. Driving lights are more effective sitting high like the high beam. Placing driving lights that low will illuminate to close to your vision and may interfere with it.

I use my fog lights during daylight in country driving even without fog as a safety measure. There is a campaign here for using low beams while driving on country roads but I think fog lights are more effective and less intrusive.

my 2 cents :)

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 8d

It is very easy to change them to driving lights if you want - the below bumper lights in the T3s were driving lights - you can simply purchase two inserts (part no. 9.1313.01) from your local Hella retailer (Repco or like) and put them into the existing housings. Then rewire them to come on with high beam - too easy.

They will not be as effective mounted low down though as raoulc has said, but if you aim them to the sides to supplement your existing high beams you will have a very wide spread - good for driving twisty roads etc.

PS pity you aren't closer as I have two of the driving lights that are surplus to my needs and would be able to use a couple of extra foggies ... oh well

• Member For: 21y 3m 24d
It is very easy to change them to driving lights if you want - the below bumper lights in the T3s were driving lights - you can simply purchase two inserts (part no. 9.1313.01) from your local Hella retailer (Repco or like) and put them into the existing housings. Then rewire them to come on with high beam - too easy.

They will not be as effective mounted low down though as raoulc has said, but if you aim them to the sides to supplement your existing high beams you will have a very wide spread - good for driving twisty roads etc.

PS pity you aren't closer as I have two of the driving lights that are surplus to my needs and would be able to use a couple of extra foggies ... oh well

thanks turbo6man, I'll look into that one. cheers, scott

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 8d
pity you aren't closer as I have two of the driving lights that are surplus to my needs and would be able to use a couple of extra foggies ... oh well

Why not just so a swap via mail. the cost of a bit of bubb;e wrap and a post pack will still be cheaper that purchaseing new inserts :birthdaywish: