How do you drive your auto?

Geeseman

How do you drive your auto T?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 23d

How do you auto owners drive your car? I mostly use auto mode but the gearbox always tends to drop into 4th as soon as it can. Performance mode with shifting makes it much more like a manual and allows you to get into the powerband a lot easier.

How do you guys do it?

Are there any issues with using performance mode all the time? Does it use more fuel, is it harsher on the gearbox? Is it better to use performance mode if you have modded your car and have more power, wanting to ensure the box lasts longer?

:censored:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Master of my domain!
  • Member For: 20y 4m 3d

I use Drive mode when I'm feeling lazy, round town and the like, but there's nothing better than a manual flick through the gears on a spirited run. I often just leave it in Performance mode too. A lot more responsive than Drive! :censored:

• I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 30d

Once I got brake shudder, I started using performance mode and changing gears manually a lot more - mainly to use the engine to slow down the car instead of the shuddery brakes.

Although the brake shudder is now fixed (well, it hasn't come back, touch wood), I have stayed with that method of driving 95% of the time.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 23d

thanks guys. keep the comments coming.

Do you find that when in performance mode the shifter is a bit clunky being off to the left? I thought it would have been good if the triptronic shifting could be done while the T was in the centre... :banghead:

Do you guys who shift all the time find that it uses more fuel?

• I'm Back!! Thats right, long over due! :)
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 15d

Same as Ani, use gears to slow down when I was experiencing the brake shudder problem. now that it's fixed, thanks to Ian (iaschmidt) and the QFM brake pads, hmmm, old habbits are tough to break. :lol:

Having confidence in my brakes once again in peak traffic is a good thing.

Performance or manual mode: 80% to 90% of the time.