..and you thought Ford electronics was bad...

Antisocial

• Weird Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 17d

from

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au

22 March 2004

VW TOUAREG IN RECALL BUNGLE

Volkswagen Australia last week issued a safety recall on its popular Touareg SUV, following an incident in Victoria when a Touareg crashed after a total electrical failure. The recall comes some seven months after an identical recall in North America, and six months after the vehicle went on sale in Australia.

The recall affects more than 1000 vehicles in Australia from both Volkswagen and Porsche. The two German companies co-developed the Touareg and Cayenne SUVs, which share their basic architecture as well as many mechanical and electrical components.

Volkswagen Australia denied there had been a delay in implementing the Australian recall, spokesman Brad Leach saying that "the size of the North American market means they can instigate these actions at their discretion."

He said: "VW Germany then carried out further investigation before announcing a worldwide recall, and advising Australia accordingly. They advised us in the last few weeks, and as soon we heard about it a recall was instigated locally."

In early March the driver of a VW Touareg ran off the road in country Victoria, crashing into a tree after the vehicle simultaneously suffered steering failure, brake failure and engine shutdown. The driver estimates the speed of impact at 50kmh -- all airbags failed to deploy as did the pyrotechnic seat belts.

Leach denies that the crash had anything to do with the defect addressed by the safety recall, despite the company issuing the recall locally just days after the incident.

The voluntary recall issued by Volkswagen Australia states: "the park brake pedal may contact the vehicle's wiring loom, causing the loom to chafe". This statement would appear to deliberately play down the fault and its potential safety impact, based on information released by Volkswagen in North America.

According to VW USA, "the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) wiring harness may have been improperly routed during assembly. An improperly routed TPMS wiring harness may contact the parking brake cable. If this happens, the TPMS wiring circuit could be interrupted, resulting in an inoperative TPMS and causing a short-to-ground condition that could potentially result in a fire."

International reports surfaced as early as August 2003 and as recently as February 2004 that the VW Touareg (and related Porsche Cayenne) had been the subject of a safety recall to remedy this fault, however VW Australia did not issue the recall until March 10.

SUVs are increasingly popular with Australians, as shown by a 59 percent sales increase in 2003. It's a trend that experts don't see abating, especially when Ford launches the locally developed and built Territory onto the market in June 2004.

The Touareg range comprised an entry level V6 for $67,600, a mid range V8 at $99,950 and a range topping V10 turbodiesel for $138,500. Since launch 440 Touaregs have been sold in Australia. Porsche has sold 567 Cayennes.

Porsche Australia Sales and Marketing Director Michael Bartsch said that the Cayenne had been recalled late February in Australia to remedy the potential problem and that approximately 400 vehicles were affected. Bartsch explained that the timing delay with right hand drive recalls is due to investigations by Porsche Germany assessing the relative risk between left and right hand drive. All owners of Cayennes that may be affected have been notified by mail and remedial work will be carried out at the customers convenience.

post-32-1079919653.jpg

• The Best Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 10d
In early March the driver of a VW Touareg ran off the road in country Victoria, crashing into a tree after the vehicle simultaneously suffered steering failure, brake failure and engine shutdown. The driver estimates the speed of impact at 50kmh -- all airbags failed to deploy as did the pyrotechnic seat belts.

And I thought it was bad when the fan belt went on my car and I lost my power steering. :smilielol:

• What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 16d

I think they are a single use thing. In an accident, a small explosion happens in the seatbelt mechanism under the seat. This explosion retracts the belt, before the body has the opportunity to travel forward too far.

I think they then need to be replaced, like airbags.

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d
I think they are a single use thing. In an accident, a small explosion happens in the seatbelt mechanism under the seat. This explosion retracts the belt, before the body has the opportunity to travel forward too far.

I think they then need to be replaced, like airbags.

Spot on Trumpy. :smilielol:

As soon as the computer deploys the airbags, the seatbelts go off as well, so the front belts (or whichever has the pyrotecnics equipped), have to be replaced as well as all airbags.

Funny though, hardly any panel beaters ever order new seat belts when they order airbag modules...... :smilielol:

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 6d

I believe the XR Fords have seatbelt pretensioners that are pyro as well.

It is great, you have a creash and you hear 3 bangs. The airbag, seatbelts and then the impact....enuf to scare the crap out of you.

• ....Time to lay this fairytale aside......
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 10d
  • Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet!
No chance of us HgAg'ers having this sort of problem...because we drive properly :o :cry:

Geezus mate you are really asking for a flaming of hellish proportions!!! :lol: