UHF CB Radios

Trumpy

• Member For: 14y 7m 26d

Hey Mate

Do you have any Pics of where and how you mounted it. I have an FG and have one with one of those Z type brackets modified somewhat to fit, I attached it to the boot itself on the side. I see the new Police Xrs and F6s have a speical bracket... would like to know where to pick one of these up they look better.

Pete

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Cruise Control
  • Member For: 17y 3m

As a cruise Controller, I want to put a decent CB radio into my car.

I'm always on the radio during a cruise, wether its warning everybody of oncoming traffic or just finding out what's going down the back.

With just a hand-held deal its not only dangerous to talk while driving, it's also a pain in the backside when you drive a manual (which I do), you can only stay in contact with the first dozen or so cars (if that).....and I'm just jack of having to relay messages down to the back of the line.....then having to wait for a couple of kilometers for an answer to come back.... .

However, I don't want a full-size radio mounted in the front of the car.....what I'm looking for is one I can remotely mount, like in the boot?....with a small panel in the front to change channels or adjust the volume etc.....with a jack in the console or somewhere close that I can plug-in a voice-activated mic and headphones......

Has anybody seen a setup like this?...where can get a setup like this?.....

This has aggravated me on the last 2-3 cruises Ive run guys.....so Im keen to do something to make life easier.....

Any advice on this appreciated :facepalm:

• Member For: 17y 6m 4d

Have a look on this site

Prestigecom.net.au Your Garmin GPS and Two-way cb radio shop in Australia

They are in WA, but you won't find better pricing, except for ebay.

Icom is the best, can be boosted to 25w!!

Uniden and GME both have remote head units

Higher the Db, longer the range but hills will interfere. Lower the Db the closer the range, but less affect from hills.

• Member For: 18y 10m 26d

Definately go the GME, one of the best radios on the market.

TX3420 is the remote head version, put the body in the boot or under dash and the head in your tissue box holder, or the 3340 is similar but everything is in the mic, LCD, buttons etc.

Glass mount antennas work ok, you can get either unity gain, 3db and 6db. Again, as South said, the lower gain are suited for hilly areas as they have a higher radiation angle, if your looking for a ittle more distance in flatter areas use a higher gain, 6db etc as they have a lower radiation angle.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 14d

I have A uniden remote UHF that I used to use on cruises.

It has 2 onglass antennas one short one long. Worked a treat on the 20+ car cruises. I will sell it cheap to you for a good cause.

I had the main unit under the passengers seat and the head unit velcrowed in the tissue box. let me know if you want it.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 4m 27d

G'day Bionic

I have a Uniden UH015SX which is a remote face 40 channel UHF with built in scanner. The face would be about 100mm x 20mm x 15mm. I used it on my motorbike with the main unit mounted under the seat and the face up on the handlebars. With the matching 6db antenna it worked a treat and gave a good range up to about 5kms depending on the landscape. Check out www.ryda.com I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else.

Cheers,

Chris

• blind leading the blind
  • Member For: 15y 6m 17d

reg buy a gme tx 3420 that is what I have in my ute - imho uniden just dont cut it anymore we have both between all the family and the uniden are crap - to mount the antenna get a boot mount bracket - that way you can take it off when you dont want an antenna and they dont mark the paint - I will find a link for you bit later on this uhf was also in my old sedan and have had no trouble with it

• Hey guys, Tab is here... Oh i feel sick
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 5d

Uniden are farking awesome, I have the same one that's in zaps link with the removable front panel and cop scanner, its great.

The speaker is on the bottom of the unit itself, so if you mount it in the boot you wont hear it. You can get one of those external speakers from dick smith and mount it in the cabin.

EBAY LINK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

Autobarn have a sale on now before Christmas on a pair of Oricom 1W CBs for $60.- you'd normally pay that for 0.5W CBs. I think 1W is better than the 0.5W - good to give you 3dB better coverage which can be significant on a cruise. Otherwise next step is 2W which can be in the vicinity of $100.

Autobarn Part no. ME06712

post-7129-0-43516500-1292621178_thumb.jp