N/A+T drifter

MrForsty

• Member For: 10m 26d

Hey guys first time poster here,

Been doing research on building a turbo Barra for my drift car. Just looking to become a bit more competitive and have a bit more power to play around with. Ideally aiming for 300-450hp. I dont want to go crazy on price so im just looking to buy a BF motor and do Valve Springs, Head studs and billet pump gears. I can pick up a BF motor for $400 and there are some BF gas motors up for $800-$1000 is it really worth getting the higher compression ratio for the power I ideally want to make?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 9m 25d

Probably not man. I think your biggest struggle will be reliability for drifting. Big iron block holds lots of heat, long stroke provides torque, but doesn't really like bouncing off limiter. I think the barra is a great motor, but more so for drag or cruising. Not so much circuit work or drifting. Unless you really go to town on cooling and limit boost significantly. Just my opinion

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 26d

Agree with @Tom Tucker

Barra and limiter are not friends. Drifting and limiter are lovers, this is a problem

You will need to make sure you build the thing to handle constant limter, so a rock solid oiling system and timing setup. Be prepared for regular maintenance in this area. 

Power wise the barra can do it no drama.

Invest in cooling. Get as big a radiator as you can possibly fit plus high power fans. 

Edited by biddie_fiddler
  • Like 1

• Member For: 10m 26d
18 hours ago, Tom Tucker said:

Probably not man. I think your biggest struggle will be reliability for drifting. Big iron block holds lots of heat, long stroke provides torque, but doesn't really like bouncing off limiter. I think the barra is a great motor, but more so for drag or cruising. Not so much circuit work or drifting. Unless you really go to town on cooling and limit boost significantly. Just my opinion

Yea, I was thinking of going Setrab Oil Cooler Kit from precision racing and upgrading the rad and thermo Fans. Currently have m86 3.7s in my car so I recon with a turbo I will probs have the power and diff gears to keep it sliding without having to sit on limiter.