Advice on building a new engine.

fox1972

• Member For: 5y 5m 16d

Hi all...

I currently have a BA Series II Xr6 turbo sedan with a 6 speed manual. It's currently running 280 rwkwt tuned by clint at profile. I want more power.

Current mods..

Heavy duty valve springs

Venom high flow cat

Walbro 460 in tank pump

Oil line

turbosmart blow-off

siemens 60lb injectors

oil catch can

mal wood option 3 plus clutch

Everything else stock.

I'm looking at building a new engine. My target power range is 500-600 rwkt's. I have gone threw various threads and the info is quite overwhelming and sometimes confusing. All I want is a really good reliable engine with the right parts that will do the job whilst trying to save money on Unnecessary parts it probably wont need. I'm not sure what rods or pistons to use, what size turbo, etc. Should I go with a 6 boost manifold and aftermarket inlet...what exhaust, ks racing 4", ultrex 4" x-force etc etc. The car is a daily driver, and I don't do burnouts or flog the rev limiter.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Regards..

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

I would build the motor with a super simple spool H beam/cp bullet piston deal with the necessary timing, oil pump, crank dowelling mods etc. I would leave the rest as it is for now because you will get a lot more power out of the bolt ons than it's currently making. It will save a lot of money while you enjoy the car with a fair bit more power and decide how much power you actually want. Numbers are good and all but if you add another 100rwkw with the current mods, it'll be a totally different car. Just a couple more minor mods and you'll have mid to high 400s which is ample for a rwd on the street and also the limit of a single 460 on E85. Don't go straight to 600rwkw cos that is overkill for a street car, will cost an arm and a leg and although you may end up there eventually, I would enjoy it with the current bolt ons, maybe bigger injectors etc, for a while. That's just my 2c, 450rwkw is very fast and you might not even want more.

There are obviously a bunch of specifics when it comes to building the engine that can be gone through some other time, cos it's quite in depth and takes a long time to sort out with online posting.

• Like 3

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d

Hey mate, you'll need to build the motor. Agree with Puff. Keep the stock manifold and turbo. Upgrade the intercooler to something that will support 1000hp to future proof, don't cheap out - go plazmaman minimum. Upgrade your exhaust to full 4" turbo back, similarly so it never needs to be revisted. Keep standard fuel system upgrade, maybe add GFB fuel reg. Go flex fuel and push the stock turbo to the limit, which should be low 400kws. This is seriously fast for a street car. You'll then have to look at tailshaft and rear end. IMS diff hat is essential eventually. And brakes and suspension! It all adds up!

You'll save huge money keeping stock turbo and fuel system. Plus the stock turbo, manifold and heat shields really helps under bonnet temps and reliability. 

Thanks guys...so many options available from spool to atomic and so many more. I've just upgraded the brakes to full front and rear brembos , first priority...and have a jonny tig 2200hp intercooler kit coming. I've been looking at the spool kits for a while, good gear at a good price. I was looking at this kit from spool.https://www.spoolimports.com/spool-xr6-conrods-and-ross-racing-forged-pistons

Atomic has a similar kit. I'm ready to start buying the parts that I need for the build, most of the external parts anyway. The internal parts decision will be made depending on the outcome of the block machining. Undecided which 4" exhaust to get atm. which will be the next thing I get. Just undecided whether to purchase the ultrex full 4" or the Ks Racing full 4" which are about the only 4" systems available atm.

regards

• Donating Members

Nice, sounds like you are on the right track. Go Ultrix. Xforce is a decent option, that's what I have. Word of warning though... don't know if there are many places that can fit the 4" Exhaust over the rear subframe without lowering it. That means you may as well pull that out at the same time to do the IMS diff hat and bushes as a minimum. I'd add trutrack too.

Rear cradle has to be removed anyway to replace the flogged out bushes. I had the car up on the hoist the other day at work and their stuffed lol.

I'll install the exhaust at the same time a week or so before going back to do a re-tune as clint at profile is usually booked out for months. Car wont be happy with that exhaust on it's current tune. IMS diff hat and a trutrack will be added at the same time. I think I'll go with the ultrex as you suggested. The only thing I didn't like about the KS exhaust was the tips were not staggered.

Edited by fox1972

• Donating Members

Nice one.

And as far as engine goes, I reckon Nitto rods and JE pistons are the best combo for quality to cost ratio. The cosworth pistons are the best, but pretty expensive. Pure cost to decent quality the spool CP combo is proven.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

Any forged piston and rod combo will do the job for the required power level and indeed will handle a lot more. Cost was mentioned as a priority in the original post, however there are clear benefits to spending more on the rotating assembly.

If I had to spend my money anywhere on internals it would be on pistons, as they cop the most abuse.

• Donating Members

Interesting perspective. I've got JE pistons. Zero piston slap or blow-by. I know that's more a function of sizing and ring clearances, but they're not a high silicone content, so expansion isn't such an issue. And then I have Howard's rods. My engine builder is a fan, so went with his recommendation. The combo handles my high cylinder pressure so far, and my build goals were similar. Reasonable price, reliable and capable

I was eyeing off the F1 Cosworth pistons atomic has. It would be an e85 beast with them. However the cost of the pistons is equivalent to the above linked spool kit. I'm not chasing 1000hp so I deemed it not really necessary. Nothing wrong either with JE pistons. I had a set of forged JE pistons in another build years ago and they certainly proved themselves.