Are these modifications illegal NSW?

XEESPT

• Member For: 11y 11m 19d

Hi all,

I drive a BF XR6 Turbo and my vehicle has been audited to have an inspection at the local police station, I'm wondering if someone can answer a few questions I have concerning some of the bolt ons I have.

Are coilovers illegal in nsw?

I have a set of MCA prosport and have been told they won't pass inspection?

Also what about a front mount intercooler?

Am I allowed to have a forward facing aftermarket plenum?

What cpi cat is legal to swap in? 200cpi? I assume they will do a sniffer test on it.

Is there anything else anyone can think of that I may have forgotten that should be addressed?

Cheers XEESPT..

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 28d

Hey mate,

Coilovers aren't illegal if ride height is above 100mm at lowest point.

Front mount intercooler is just an upgrade from factory front mount, so not illegal.

Forward facing plenum isn't illegal, but if you have a non covered pod filter, they can defect you for that.

You might get away with a 200cpi cat, but your statement suggests you don't have one at all. 400cpi is a better bet.

Not knowing what other modifications your car has, I can't speculate on other items you may be defected for, but to take a stab, you'd want to make sure your tyres have tread, your lights all work, and the cops didn't impound your car for doing burnouts. These are all factors not likely to work in your favour.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

Did some digging because I didn't quite agree with the coilover statement. I'm not from NSW but I am reading a doc from the nsw government.

Section 3.2 point "e - ii" and "e - iii" mention changing suspension that is of a different design from factory require assessing and certification.

This may be why MCA coilovers are not legal, the rear setup is a different design from factory, they are a true coilover rather than separate coil and shock - which is the factory setup.

I'd steer more towards them not being legal.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 28d

Yeah, could be right man - all I'd point to is the number of 4x4s with lift kits out there that never have legal issues. I think you'd have to be unlucky to be defected just for suspension, unless it's ride height related 🙂

Cheers guys,

I might swap out the rear coilovers anyway just for peace of mind . Is anyone 100% certainly I will get away with the forward facing plenum? 

For anyone that may be interested I contacted MCA about the rear coilovers and the sent me an engineers report for the rear shock conversion to verify legality. It's signed off in QLD though so I don't really want to take chances and have my car knocked..

I have tried to attach said report..

Cheers XEESPT

Report MCA Suspension LS5.pdf

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

It's always best to return a car to stock, where possible, for such inspections... not worth taking the risk you'll get further issues down the line...

But in saying that, the whole thing sounds like a load of bull:pooh: to me, anyway, the whole "my vehicle has been audited to have an inspection at the local police station"... have you even confirmed that the police station in question actually is ready for you (e.g. I'd call them and ask do they even do that sort of thing and what to expect, as you're "asking for a mate", e.g. don't incriminate yourself)? the police are certainly not the best people to be doing such an inspection and if they're doing anything, they'll likely need mechanic or EPA advice to go with it as police officers usually have f-all mechanical knowledge.

So if you're going, I'd make sure everything is close enough to OEM.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
8 minutes ago, k31th said:

"my vehicle has been audited to have an inspection at the local police station"

AKA "My car got defected"

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Haha 1

For the haters that think I was rat bagging and got defected.  Whatever. 

The letter I received stated " transport NSW has received information which indicates my vehicle may not comply with applicable vehicle standards"

I can't attach an image as the cropped screenshots I took are to big to upload. If someone who knows what they are doing knows how to crop my details I am happy to share. Here is the reply email I received
Screenshot_20230517-104628.thumb.jpg.2f7565216145df914e6181db695394d5.jpg

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

Use Imgur to upload pics, its way easier :) 

Also no one is hating on you mate, just saying that the NSW government is sh*te, you've been defected. They word in such a way to make it seem like you haven't. 

In any case. Take @k31th's advice, just put as many of the factory parts back on as you can and you'll have a higher chance of passing. 

The plenum will be fine I reckon. Just so long as you don't have a blocked BOV, or one that vents to atmosphere. Its gotta recirc to pass

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Lighten up mate, you don't need to be a ratbag to get defected ;)

Fark that sh*t though, you're sitting there minding your own business, nek minute you're gonna get fined and have your rego cancelled if you don't show up and if you show up they're gonna defect your car, that you've just chucked 12 months rego on. I would move states lol.