Fan on external trans cooler

Rive_mk2

• Member For: 5y 6m 18d

Hey guys, just looking to get some input on what people’s thoughts are on the necessity of a fan on external trans cooler? Would they be still worth doing without the fan? And do a good job of keeping the trans cool? I’m not looking to push heaps of power, like 330rwks, would one without a fan still be a good option? Just got quoted 740 fitted and supplied  for a derale trans cooler.. any info would be good. Obviously a fan would be ideal but they’re quite expensive, plus I’d have to pay to get it fitted.. thanks.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 28d

Depends what you are doing with the car - but I've got an 88 thermo switch on my ZF cooler fan and it almost never comes on. I'd say the cooler inside the front bar does a pretty decent job without a fan. And you are right - a lot more mucking around to mount a fan to the cooler and wire everything up.

Just daily the car man, nothing crazy. Got quoted  the 740 today supplied and fitted, I’d be looking at 7-900 for one with a fan then would have to pay for labour after that, that’s why I was wondering. And the zf doesn’t come stock with a fan, only trying to avoid the milkshake, not doing to get a fan lol so you think it wouldn’t be a silly decision to go without fan? Thanks man.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

I would say it depends where you live. Some places are cold or temperate most of the year, some places are hot af all year.

Tasmania = no fan

Darwin = fan

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

I live in Adelaide too, daily driving in the suburbs in summer makes everything hot. I've also lived on the sunshine coast and it gets very hot there too. There is also a sh*tload more traffic there than here, so more time sitting with no airflow. I'd suggest fans for low airflow driving, here or there.

I haven't used the pwr unit so no comment there.

Gotcha. I don’t mean to ramble on, but say if you just went aftermarket heat exchanger that would surely prevent the milkshake from happening? Heard the oem ones are just cheap junk from China. Surely putting a good one it would significantly minimise any harm. I used to have a BF turbo and flogged it around a bit and didn’t have any problems with overheating the trans. I don’t know, I just guess Im pretty poor otherwise I’d have zero dramas getting the fan etc.

what tuner do you recommend in Adelaide? Was thinking of going to Heinrich but up in the air with the idea.

Edited by Rive_mk2