Do I have aftermarket valve springs?

Demarosso

• Member For: 1y 5m 20d

Hey guys, I have have bought a BF gas + turbo motor a while ago, and the seller claimed that it has performance valve springs (Crows Cams) and some other goodies in it.

It also came with a turbo exhaust manifold, turbo, external wastegate, intake plenum, etc. so seemed legit and I didn't check what's inside. 

Now I have finally opened the valve cover and did not find the promissed plazmaman head studs 😱, so I suspect valve springs may also be stock... 😱

Could you please suggest a way to identify if my springs are stock or indeed performance...? :brightidea:

jBKoNea.jpg

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 19d

Ask the previous owner. I've found carnts will start telling the truth after they wake up from being knocked out and you start breaking their knees. It's not for everyone but it works ;)

• Like 1

Thanks, I was glad to see it is at least clean too. I am considering taking a spring from this engine and another spring from a spare engine. Then compare them, I.e. strength, height, etc. I suspect aftermarket ones would be stiffer and maybe a bit taller. Maybe that could work... 🤔

On 14/02/2023 at 9:10 PM, Puffwagon said:

Ask the previous owner. I've found carnts will start telling the truth after they wake up from being knocked out and you start breaking their knees. It's not for everyone but it works ;)

No response from the seller... I would first have to find him if I was to follow your advice 😅

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 19d
14 minutes ago, Demarosso said:

No response from the seller... I would first have to find him if I was to follow your advice 😅

That's unfortunate, also don't follow that advice cos it doesn't help anyone lol.

You will be able to push a stock spring down with your fingers somewhat easily depending on how strong you are, you won't be able to budge an aftermarket spring unless you're a maniac.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Update: springs were standard. There is visual difference. I have now installed Dominator Motorsports 95 lbs springs.

Edited by Demarosso

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 6y 4m 12d

Hey Demarosso

Do you have a pic of the standard valve springs vs the Demoninator Motorsports. I purchased an FG XR6 Turbo last year. It's been tuned by a pretty reputable aftermarket tuner within the scene but they didn't list that valve springs were changed. 

Turbo, injectors, intercooler and a tune were all done. 

I'm guessing they were but can't tell for sure obviously. I haven't pulled off the valve cover yet, no need to as the car is running well.