David's new daily.

Ezy2Confuze

• Member For: 14y 6m 3d

Hi All,

Well after an accident in late November totaled the previous G6ET I had, I found another one which I managed to pickup as an early Christmas present the Saturday before Christmas weekend.

The previous owner has done many mods to it, most of which I was looking at doing anyway, such as the fuel system upgrades, exhaust.

Below is a YouTube video the previous owner posted in the Failbook ad:

Some pics of the car:

N2bUIRh.jpg

tSqNkwL.jpg

IggGKbI.jpg

l57k6iR.jpg

5DbTczx.jpg

4pWxRxb.jpg

The Mods so far:

tc2uV01.jpg

cX5Omeu.jpg

As this is my new daily and due to working over the Christmas/New Years break and the proverbial hitting the fan each week so far this year, I've not had the time to really do much to it except a full service and coolant flush plus having the mechanic reattach the front bar on the two sides when I parked up the Sunday after I got it and not realizing how low the front is, pulling the front bar off a little and hearing a god almighty cracking sound when I reversed out later, which obviously had me swearing at my own stupidity.

The only cons with it so far, is the battery is in the wheel well, so I need to organize moving that to the drivers side in the boot.

It's too low at the front for me, in fact I cannot even get my head in to see anything at the front, I do know the stone guard is shredded and has pulled away from the front bar in sections, it's also in some areas split so that bits are hanging down and catching on even the smaller stripped rubber stoppers in car parks.

The front tyers have shredded the inner guards.

The firs thing I am doing is getting the battery relocated, then 5 new wheels and tyres, I'm going 18's as I've had 20's and 19's on the previous Falcon but as other family members will use my car and they curb rashed the 20's and 19's but not the 18's - even after having them for 2 years - I'll stick with 18's, plus I noticed a hell of a lot less road noise with 18's.

I get brake shudder, the front pads were replaced a year and 10,000K's ago according to the seller, but I don't know, as he did like to take it to the drags, if it wasn't allowed to cool down properly and heat warped something or the discs just need shimming, so I will get that looked at too.

Other than that, it has none of the usual land barge floatiness thanks to the sway bars etc. and I quite like the sound from the turbo, the young fella that is my offsider has a 2015 WRX non ST-I, which the rest of the team and myself always tease him about being slow -you know the usual Aussie stirring - plus everyone loves the flake in the Ego paint.

Once I hit the 195,000 mark - currently at 186,600 - it's off to Rob for oil pump gears, backing plate and timing chain, then a freshen of the 98 tune and ZF service.  Then after Rob tells me what I should do for running it on e85, I'll put the e85 tune in and have Rob freshen that up too.

I've put this in the 300KW club because until I see a 400KW+ sheet, I know it at least feels much stronger than the 270KW at the wheels I had in the old car - which had ID1000's and a stage 1 tune.

Edited by Ezy2Confuze
Fix pics
  • Like 4

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

Very nice pickup :spoton:, aside from the wheel/tyre situation :) Glad you're recifying that.

For the low front, just get a front-cam like I did for the front and connect it to the ICC's aux-input (I have it wired via power on the parker bulbs so it only turns on when I have both aux selected and parker/lights activated). When aimed down correctly it allows you to get within a centimetre or two of any object in front and saves the front bar :) Then you can keep it low ;)... or raise up the front - you have the coilovers to do it.

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 14y 6m 3d

Dyno sheet from last week.

Had the petrol tank, pump and new exhaust all replaced.  The tank was weeping, the video for the previous owners runs was from 2017, so I thought, I have no idea how the pump is going, so for peace of mind, I'll replace it and the X-Force exhaust had rust where the pipes joined the mufflers, so I went with the 4-inch that Rob uses.

It went from 330Kw's to 374.

wWDoB0O.jpg

Rob was originally going to go multi-tune but ran out of time.  I'm fine with that and I can wait, as I'm trying to:

A.) Figure out why sometimes re-engaging the cruise control does not work.  I had Rob install new audio and cruise buttons to the steering wheel.  I already replaced the brake switch, I'm thinking because sometimes I need to depress the brake twice for cruise to disengage, that it might be the pedal box that needs replacing.  In which case I will get both brake and accelerator boxes replaced with new ones.  Probably with XR6 ones with the drilled pedals, I don't mind the look of them compared to the basic rubber padded pedals on the G6ET.  Otherwise I noticed the brake booster seems to have at some stage leaked, as it looks like dried black rust on the bottom section, as the fronts have Shockworks calipers - which Rob found through Shockworks use the pads from the Hyundai's Genesis brand of cars, I will need to upgrade to something that is easier to get pads for, so a set of 6 pot Brembo fronts are in order later this year and then I'll do 4 pots for the rears depending on total cost, at the same time or a little later.

B.) Rob highly recommends the Process West surge tank with twin pumps for e85 use, So I will get that fitted probably after tax return time and get multi-tune done then.

My next purchase is:

Oil pump gears and backing plate.

Timing chain kit.

Crow valve springs.

The car is at 226,000 currently, it has aftermarket valve springs but I asked Rob if those also weaken over time, my thinking is get them done again so they are a known quantity and when I go e85 for more power, all the supporting mods are done and I won't have to worry about things breaking.

Then I can think about the cosmetic stuff like the paint work and I'll definitely get an XR8 bonnet again.