Strange bumping in the accelerator pedal.

Snowbear77

• Member For: 3y 7m 27d

Hey guys, Recently changed the front shocks in my XR6T 2 months ago. The modified exhaust was hitting the gearbox ( slightly ), and was rectified by my mechanic. Though I've now developed a bumping feel in my accelerator pedal,  going over bumps , and sometimes I feel it in my resting foot beside the brake pedal.. Seems very irregular. I've jiggled the accelerator pedal ( every which way ), and seems 100% secure. Anyone had something similar.?...............worse case scenario ( I'm thinking possible rip in the firewall , sway bar rubber, gearbox mount or engine mount ).or something else? 

definitely feeling it through the accelerator pedal more than any other way. Its quite intermediate when it happens.........I drive to work, the same way ( like most of us do ).........and feel it on 50% of the time.

It's a real oddity.   I've driven 100km since my post above, and all has been good. Just to go over the symptom's  better.....when going over pot holes /bumps/train tracks etc, I feel the bump ( excessively )through the accelerator pedal, with sometimes feeling the bump in my left foot beside the brake pedal. It really is an oddity that I cant find anything loose when I have the car jacked or on ramps. The shocks are brand new - ish.  Though something is definitely the way is used to be......hence the thought previously, there might be a crack in the firewall, or a weld somewhere has failed. 

Edited by Snowbear77

Update.........took it to the mechanic and he suspects the hydraulic engine mounts are failing. They're reacting to the extra heat on our extra hot perth days, giving the difference in driving and unpredictability of feeling bumps. I do have a turbo set-up running a 4 inch exhaust near the engine mount. I've seen the heat shrouds that come from factory, but am aware there are 3 shrouds ( 1 over the turbo, one over the exhaust manifold ( behind the power steering )). Where dose the 3rd mount? 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Mate that must be a typo, a set of engine mounts is less than $100. Get on ebay and search for "barra engine mounts". A decent mechanic will have them swapped in a couple of hours, so labour should be around $300.

If you're a bit handy you can just make a heat shield for the driver side mount. It has a bolt and a stud to hold it in place so easy to attach. Again, just search "heat shield" on ebay and get to origami making.