VARi brake kits

k31th

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

Since going from 17's to 20's and looking at how tiny my OEM brakes look now, I'm thinking of upgrading them to these:

https://www.vari.com.au/product/falcon-au-ba-bf-gtp-kit/

specifically the "GTP 375 x 32 Rotor 618Caliper KIT( 20 - 24 inch wheels)" kit for the front (not sure if I'll upgrade the back as well, but we'll see)

Pic of current setup for reference:

PXL_20220404_071843419_edited.jpg

For further reasoning, I'm not happy really with the OEM brakes performance anyway, and upgrading them will make the car better ready for track days, twisties cruises etc.

I could only find this post about VARi on AFF...

How did you go with the Vari brakes, are they are worthwhile upgrade on our cars? I see they are advertising them as being able to fit stock wheeels on the FG

We didn't pursue the Vari brakes as the majority of people wanted Brembo to keep the factory look and easier for adr compliance etc.

let's just say I'm not worried too much about the "factory look" etc for my vehicle.

Thoughts?

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 26d

There are soooo many options. Vari, XYZ, Stolz, Ceika (bad example, they are US based and just stupidly priced).

Heck, even a Ford Mustang brake conversion kit!

All very expensive, still cheaper than brembo 6-pots 🤣

I really like the stolz ones, but tbh I have no idea what they cost because I can't easily find out who even stocks the things

EDIT

also, Vari's websites seems to always have issues. I think I've been able to use it like once. Never loads for me 🤷‍♂️

More googlin, found another company that offers brake kits for Falcons, D2 Race

Pre-FG - https://d2race.com.au/shop/ford/falcon-5-x-114-3-pcd-1998-2008/

FG+ - https://d2race.com.au/shop/ford/falcon-fg-5-x-114-3-pcd-2008-2016/

Also, I think I'd just go with the big brake fronts and do the territory rears. Unless you're more concerned with keeping them the same.

Edited by biddie_fiddler

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

The Vari website is fine for me haha it's a bit janky but it works fine for finding out details (Firefox on Windows 10).

I did have a look around as well and Vari seemed the best: Built in Australia, their FB page is full of photos, their testimonials etc seem pretty accurate/realistic and the prices were the best for "big" brakes.

Shockworks would probably compete in price & features, but they don't have much details online other than that single personal review on AFF.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 26d
6 minutes ago, k31th said:

Shockworks would probably compete in price & features, but they don't have much details online other than that single personal review on AFF.

Ikr, its really odd! Nothing on the website about them. Weird because surely they'd wanna a sell product they've developed? Anyhow. Keep us updated on this because I'd love to hear what you go with, if you do buy a kit, and how they go.

My brakes defs need attention. Had one close call after a (legal) street race that required a quick stop - foot through the firewall and took a while to slow down 🤣

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

anyway, I can justify spending ~$2900 to just upgrade the fronts to 375x32 6pots, but then the OEM rears will look absolutely pox in comparison haha, so that's another ~$2200 for 330x28 4pots... seems like a lot from just an aesthetic point of view, but as soon as they'd get on the vehicle, I'm sure they'd be 100% worth it... hmmm decisions...

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

For the size & composition of the rotors & calipers, it's the cheapest "new" option by far... the only way to get cheaper is to go smaller rotors/calipers (~350mm instead of 375mm or with 4pot instead of 6pot) or wait for 2nd hand brembo's which are getting pretty rare.

Everything is expensive when you're upgrading haha and it's a HUGE upgrade on the OEM setup for a BA XR6T; wouldn't surprise me if the performance of the brakes doubled or tripled in effectiveness.

Might just email vari and ask 'em to knock a bit off the price since they were selling for 2-300 less than they do now only two years ago and pull the trigger :) better to spend $4.5k-$5k than $7k for brembo's or more for other options.