HJ's build thread

hjtrbo

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d

Hey JET, I've already got her on a E85 flex tune. I clock up about 500km a week so e85 has added up after a few years when I budget on it being about 30% increase consumption and a rough 40 cent premium over 98 Octane. Only a very small portion of that driving do I need the benefit of E85 therefore I conclude I'm pissing money out the tail pipe. In my use case and with my power goal, I think a meth kit is better option. My blown VF that I hardly drive is full time E85. That won't change. I will miss the smell of E85 on a cold startup. Bloody love that stuff :) 

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

I'm personally extremely curious and interesting in water/meth setups. Seems like an awesome option for someone that doesn't want to make the switch over to e85.

e85 is harder to find, has worse fuel economy, more expensive to run, hard on your fuel system.

Plus it isn't cheap to add in the support for it.

With water/meth, it seems like a similar cost in investment for the parts, and you get decent results while maintaining good fuel economy.

The only real downsides I see is 1; you need someone with good experience tuning cars with the system installed, and 2; you have a second tank that needs to be filled up.

• Like 1

Yeah, you pretty well got it one. Finding the right trigger point and the correct progression will take a lot of time to get the balance right between power and economy. WOT is easy but the part load stuff will be tricky I.e. I  don't want it spraying when I'm accelerating like a normal person onto the freeway.

From my research I am thinking I'll get around 3 weeks between meth tank fills. Basically every 3rd tank of fuel, I'll need to top up the meth tank. Driving style dependant of course.

New tank design. Lost a little bit of volume, am now at 10L. Just heading out to the shed now to make the cardboard mock up 

image.thumb.jpeg.dde46e11e966f287cfe27292d50073cf.jpeg

Edited by hjtrbo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, yeah leave that one with me. I still want to keep it looking stock. The muffler outlet is so small, the GTX eats it. Need some more thinking time for a plan. Battery relocation / air intake kit is not for me. Thinking I can modify the turbo side of the muffler to get the diameter right. Paint it all in hammertone black and no one will know. 

• Like 1