Wategate actuator movement

Tubofords

• Member For: 5y 3m 1d

I'm having the overboost problem (and going into limp mode) and am trying to diagnose. 

I have tried to manually move the wategate lever but it only moves about 10mm. (Trying to move it by pulling it with a hook)

How much movement is there on the arm usually?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

it's a lot easier to get it done with the turbo off but can be done with it on if you have small enough fingers/hands and picks etc to get the force into the right bits for the c-clips etc.

• 3 months later...
On 20/08/2022 at 11:24 AM, k31th said:

that sounds about right

I tested the actuator and had to put about 50psi on my air compressor regulator for it to move. I took a video and it moves only about 5mm. Is this right?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

Haha it might be correct for a 50psi actuator :pandalol:

For future reference don't put 50psi into your actuator again. I don't know how much pressure it needs to rupture the diaphragm but it's not something you want to find out on your own car.

The amount yours is moving is nowhere near enough. Either something is physically stopping it from moving, or the actuator is farked. Apply a small amount of air to the actuator via a rubber hose so there is no leak in the air feed. If you can hear air hissing from the actuator, it's farked.

😂 yeah I just kept dialling up the pressure till something moved, but I just had the air spray nozzle jammed in the inlet pipe. (and yes the car is 100% stock)

I tried pulling the lever back more with a hook, but it would only move the amount in the video. So I guess I also need to now work out if the actuator is stuck or the actual wastegate.

Edited by Tubofords