swapping out milk shake auto transmission 2009 xr6 turbo

R ichard

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

I'm sure you can make it work, but I don't know about the little things that you'll have to change... somebody might know, though

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 28d

1:

I remember reading a while back on the PCMTEC forum that if you go from BF to FG you have to send the TCM module away to get the OS updated to FG. Apparently only a handful of people can provide that type of service. It's not something the Ford dealer would do.   

2:

You can put your TCM from your FG box onto the BF box to avoid sending out the BF TCM for an OS update. But as you've got a milkshaked valve body amongst other things, you would need to send that out to be pulled apart and rebuilt.

So there is an extra cost on top of buying the BF box either way you go. I'd keep looking for an FG box if I were you. I'll can tell you which box to look for so you don't get into limp mode when you install it. Post back a picture of your teartag, located on the A pillar drivers door. 

E.g.

image.thumb.jpeg.f35fcd68d5f82af89dbb02b460088646.jpeg

Edited by hjtrbo
Extra info
  • Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 28d

Hmm, the spreadsheet...

Ok, good and bad news. 

Bad:

It's highly likely that you'll need the TCM flashed. You'll know if it needs a flash if it goes straight into limp mode once all in and buttoned up. 

Good:

Ford Service or any tuner with PCMTEC can do the flash if it needs it.

What you're looking for:

Anything turbo ZF from FG, FG Mk2, FG-X including FPV models, doesn't matter if ute or sedan. Doesn't matter if XR6T or F6. 

Anything ZF6HP26 from BF turbo, V8 or Territory turbo can still be made to work but you'll be up for extra costs to get the OS upgraded and perhaps some changes to torque converter or maybe even bell housing (unlikely) that I'm not sure about.

• Member For: 3y 1m 15d

wow haha thanks mate, a lot of good info there, some I'm pretty much better off  only really looking  for one from a FG onwards really, have seen a couple in nz for sale with 200-211xxx km, think ill  see if I cvan find  a  lower km one 1st lol  did see a full FG manual kit pop up for sale last night,  only 7.5k for it lololol

• Member For: 3y 1m 15d

they didn’t actually give me a figure just said it be a sh*tload cheaper to put a 2hand one in, I’m in Timaru only really one shop that does transmissions, tbh I’m going to sell it after it’s sorted,   Day after all this happened partner told me she was pregnant lol