swapping out milk shake auto transmission 2009 xr6 turbo

R ichard

• Member For: 3y 28d

hay guys looking at getting a 2nd ZF out of a 2009 ge6T 90,xxxkm, guy has a built gearbox but is going in a different direction with his car, atm valve body and convertor are in the car with his built gearbox 

question is can I use the valve body and convertor from my gearbox or would they be stuffed from the coolant and trans oil mixing?

car is going in on thursday for them to pull it apart but pretty sure its stuffed, when I we checked the oil line on the trans cooler it was pretty much all coolant 😒

im thinking it might be cheaper to buy the 2nd hand ZF   ( 1200 nzd without the  valve body and convertor or 1600 nzd with them ( would have to wait 2 weeks for him to remove them from car ) than for them to muck around pulling part mine and doing flushes etc 

is there anything else I should be aware of?

sorry if they are dumb questions, any feedback is welcome 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

You can't know for sure if your valve body or TC are stuffed as well until they are inspected. Just wait for advice from the transmission shop that's pulling it out as to how much you have to replace.

That $1200NZD was for a built box? seems too good to be true... so they're two different boxes, I assume? Another stock one is fine if you wish to get it. If you have big power goals just get the whole job from the built one :)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

All good. Depending on your power goals, go with whichever full package and get rid of your own valvebody/tc/gearbox and replace it all, imho. (a few hundred extra for that peace of mind is worth it)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m
1 hour ago, R ichard said:

when I we checked the oil line on the trans cooler it was pretty much all coolant

Of course it was, you let it sit there assembled for a couple of weeks with a failed trans cooler, the coolant clearly was going to leak into the trans if you left it like that. It still doesn't mean it got into the box and stuffed it when it initially failed, while it was running. There will be water/coolant in the box now but that doesn't matter. What matters is if it got in there when it was running and mixed up a milkshake for you. You still haven't told us if you dropped the oil and if it is clean or milky. This will dictate whether you need a new box or not.

So...drop the oil, see what it's like and take it from there. Far out man :horse:

To save further replies, if your oil is farked then the TC as well as the entire box will need fixing, including the valve body. You may as well swap the lot unless you're going to get a rebuilt box with a rebuilt converter.

#woosah

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
11 minutes ago, R ichard said:

looks like I got lucky 

Looks like it. Keep an eye on your temp gauge for a while, as the radiator may still decide to not work properly after it got filled with oil.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

You need to flush it with the thermostat out otherwise the cold water will close it and it won't flush properly.

I may have mentioned it but you can use clothes detergent to flush it, it works quite well.

A fair bit of oil will still collect in the header tank over the next few drives, pretty normal as the block and radiator will have residue.

Anyhow sounds like it's under control now so crack a beer and cheers to good luck :drinks:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 3y 28d

looks like I may of not been so lucky, 1st few drives were sweet, gearbox felt better than before, but this morning when I was driving to work the revs were jumping around quite abit, will see how I go after work, just my luck lol