Ute Suspension Bits n Bobs

oakola

• Member For: 6y 7m 24d

Hey lads,

Im about to give my ute some love, wanting to do a suspension upgrade. Currently have Stock shock and springs up front, and some Monroe GTs in the rear. All stock height.

Questions I have are:

- Shocks, leaning towards KYBs all round, hear good things about them, but is the jump to a bilstein / koni / shockworks truely worth the xtra $$$ for a daily? pretty steep for them all round 🤕

- Springs, thinking SSL but im super worried about scraping as my dump is farken low (4 inch xforce) maybe SL? not really mad about the stock front height just dont want it to look dumb lowered at the rear and look like im doing a wheelie. Gunna just reset the rears I reckon

Also worth doing the bushes on the rear? its got 200k clicks now, no noises or anything just preventative.

Any feedback would be sweet, cheers 

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d

Went through similar recently. Refreshed the rear end. New oem bushes front and back and OEM rubber pads under the diff tube. New u bolts as 1 was stripped. Sent leaf springs off to an old school spring works place close to home and he rebuilt the spring pack with new separator pads and new leaf clamps to keep it tight and new centering dowels. Drove like brand new. 

Shocks will transform a ride, spend the extra on the Konis. As you've worked out going to low she'll scrape the shiny exhaust over all sorts of sh*te. 

Lower the front first then have it already booked at a spring place to reset and rebuild your rear leafs to match the front height. Morwell Spring Works is who went to. Like a walk back in time that workshop. Charges me $650 for the rebuild, reset and refit. Half the price of new king leafs. That money you saved out it towards your shocks. 

Also good chance your upper wishbone bushes, sway bar bushes and ball joints are on the way out. Superpro do good priced replacement kits. 

• Member For: 6y 7m 24d

Cheers hjtrbo, 

just done the upper control arms and sway bar links... was the cause of low speed rattling was driving me stoopid,

Am worried about the zorst being low, im convinced in SL's for front. many say it doesn't change the height at all, will ask a suspension shop.

And right just sack up get the good sh*t, do it once do it right. Konis or the billies. will check flea bay.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d

Both excellent choices. Which ever you can get the best deal on. 

Definately take the leaf packs out for a rebuild at a place that knows what they're doing, and replace all rubbers down the back. Only saying it twice because of how well it tightened up the rear. That said, in my case, my rear end was pretty flogged out to start with. 

It sucks parting with the cash straight up, but after a few weeks it's all forgotten and you get to have a sweet ride for many years. 

• Like 2