FG XR6 turbo milkshake

R ichard

• Member For: 3y 27d

hay guys, 

so I had a same coolant leak that I couldn't find for the past week or 2 two, took it for a drive Friday night, got home parked it up and could smell the coolant burning on something hot so I took off the heat shield and sure enough it had a small leak on the copper washer on the water line on the turbo, so I thought id unload the cap for the overflow to release some pressure, once I did this it looked like oil went into the overflow bottle  so I'm guessing the trans cooler has craped its self,  heres hoping it happened after the car was turned off ( wishful thinking 🙃 )   car was driving perfect , will ring up ford and a few other places Monday and talk to them but what do you thinks think, is it worth getting them to flush out the coolant system and the ZF, or is it more than likely to late? 

2UYWDwP.jpg

Started to flush the Coolant system

o07Hmq8.jpg

• Sad 1

cheers mate, rung a trans shop in town and he said its not even worth him touching it, reckons just get a new one FML lol

can I swap a turbo ZF trans from a g6et  into my fg xr6 turbo? found this one for sale https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/ford/gear-boxes/listing/3697074594

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

Drop the oil in the trans and have a look before anything. I've had a trans cooler fail, made the coolant milky, I dropped the trans oil and it was fine, I had caught it in time.

Cos I'm a tight arse I flushed my radiator and block with clothes washing powder, bought a new trans cooler, did an oil and filter change and it was sorted.

• Shocked 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d
46 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Drop the oil in the trans and have a look before anything. I've had a trans cooler fail, made the coolant milky, I dropped the trans oil and it was fine, I had caught it in time.

Lucky bastard! 

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d

Lol, what a rip. Trade price on that is $253 incl. GST part number. 8R2Z-7A095-CD

Which direction you going to go? Ford cooler or external? If external I have some ideas for you. 

2CentsArseHoleOpinion, I don't have data but logic tells me to never release pressure from the coolant system like you did. It would be like striking every surface the coolant touches with a small hammer as the pressure is rapidly released and things collapse back to rest at atmospheric pressure. No facts to back that up, take it with a grain of salt. I work with industrial high pressure boilers so I have an appreciation of what potential damage can happen when pressure is rapidly decreased.

yeah they nice guys but they are rip offs, tried charging me 1500 nzd to replace the water pump, the idler and also the tensioner ( cost me like 350buxs for the parts )

im always down for ideas mate,

yeah I dono why id do that lol was only bubbleing from the coolant leak, im a dumb ass lol