FG front cover oil leak

hjtrbo

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Hey man mine didn't happen overnight! It was a several year process that I did all the work on myself, saving a few bucks in the process.

At the end of the day my car isn't any better than other people's cars, it might be faster but that's not the be all and end all.

Your ute will be a farken beast when you're done with it :drinks:

• Thanks 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m

On 29/07/2022 at 1:02 PM, Puffwagon said:

May as well add in some rods and pistons too ;)

Haha fixes an oil leak, gets built motor instead :roflmbo:

On 01/08/2022 at 4:21 PM, Tom Tucker said:

but I can see this is going to escalate to new turbo anyway

20 hours ago, bjc said:

Go a Ti 525 (walbro) or the new Bosch even for the fuel pump, if injectors won't then sell them and the pump and buy way bigger as you're going to be there in the end anyway as resistance is futile... Turbo go a Pulsar 35 1050, GTX3584RS or bigger.

There is a lot of good hunches in this thread.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 8d

Far out this one escalated quickly!

I’ve got a oil leak that I’ve got meaning fix. I’ve bought the gaskets and seals kit from empire minus the head gasket plus their timing kit, oil pump gear, backing plate, sprocket, valve spring and a Ross harmonic balancer that’s been living in my wardrobe for about 8 months.

Like you, I’ve been contemplating the arp studs one in one out method without removing the head and doing everything else all at once. After reading your thread, I’ll be making extra double sure not to remove the head at all costs. It’s a trap!

ps, I’ve been playing around with pcmtec and doing some road tuning as well so I’ve found myself frequenting their forum a lot and have found quite a few of your threads/posts over there useful.

Edited by SIMBAD

Don't fix the oil leak. Sell the car and buy a late BF F6 with under 100,000km. It's a bloody trap alright. $40 -->> $14,000

Thanks for the feedback. Info is still hard to come by. There are snippets of gold around the place but it's hard work. Hoping the Barra thing takes off in the States as that will open up alot of info to the average Joe. 

• Haha 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 8d

Just before covid hit, I had the chance to swap my bf2 for a bf2 f6 with similar km with 10k cash his way. I’d only had my car for maybe 6 months at the time and was hard to convince the Mrs how badly I wanted it. 
I remember her saying that it’s a WANT, not NEED. She got me there... I’ve never lead with “want” ever since.

Lol, feel for you brother.  My wife doesn't get me but she knows enough now to turn a blind eye. Trust me, she gets her way alot so it works out 50/50 long term. 

I know it's only a badge but as I'm getting older and in my reflective opinion the BF F6 will be a top piece of Australian history. I'd love to get one and just hide it somewhere regardless of condition. #dreaming 

• 5 months later...
  • Inactive Members
  • Member For: 12y 10m 13d

Just stumbled upon this thread as my FG XR6T has a weeping rocker cover gasket - I took the rocker cover off to discover basically exactly what the OP discovered ... drivers side timing chain nylon guide broken, the piece lodged snuggly between the timing case and the tensioner, and the camshaft lobes showing excessive wear. 265,000 and the engine is bog stock, driven daily and sweet and quiet - seriously considering just slapping it all back together and pretending I never saw a thing! 

There'd have to be thousands of FG's rolling around like this with the owners none the wiser, wouldn't there?