Custom FG Tail Lights!

biddie_fiddler

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 22d

Making this open-source has definitely crossed my mind, I'm talking the whole project. If the bones are good enough, it can hopefully generate enough interest for people to be willing to help finish it off and make some decent changes and progress on the project. I do need to do some research on using git. I've had this project in my google drive since its inception, but git is way better, especially for the code side of things.

What kinda stuff do you work on if you don't mind sharing? :)  

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

sent you a PM so as not to clutter up your thread :)

Looks like you're making great progress even if it's in drips and drabs :) that's how passion projects are :) 

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 2y 20d

How have you gone about splitting the lense from the housing? I was going to have some fun fiddling around with addressable led strips, but the generic diy advice to heat up the whole unit did NOT go well for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 22d

Wow got here late I do apologise hahaha

Modern car tail lights, say 2000ish and above, are ultrasonic welded together. Its actually a pretty epic process! The housing and the lens are two separate pieces, a machine takes the two pieces, lines them up together and then vibrates the ever living fk out of the two pieces, the friction between the plastic causes so much heat that they are friction welded together, basically becoming one sealed unit. 

The only way to open tail lights like this is to cut them open. I use a dremel with a flex shaft, and a special cutting disk made for cutting wood I believe. 

e18cd68f45fd44798c0afc92fe2a0152?v=a219d813IDrOO6ZL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

The cutting blade has off centre holes cut out of its cutting surface as you can see above, is helps break up the plastic as you cut. Traditional disks just melt the plastic and makes a mess, with this blade it it really easy to clean.

The most widely accepted method used by shops that do this kinda thing though is an ultrasonic cutter. Way easier to use and a way cleaner finish. They are quite expensive though, the best one to get that's not bank breaking is still $600 odd and will still overheat - https://www.micromark.com/Wondercutter

You need to spend quite a bit to get a industrial type one that is built for long time use and will last.

88195_R-01.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=170&re

• Like 1

• 2 months later...