Ba XR6T Spark Plugs

Bawwxay

• Member For: 1y 8m 14d

G’day everyone, first poster here.

just thought I would make a post to get some more information regarding spark plug replacement.

I recently turboed a 2004 NA BA Barra 182 and was curious as I’m about to replace the spark plugs whether I should stick with NA spark plugs (NGK FR5EI-13 Iridium) or go with the 240t spark plugs (NGK FR6EI-11 Iridium)? Obviously the gapping would be different on the two and whether the 240T plugs will even fit/be a more viable option?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Nah, they're not the same.

they are DENSO (or Ford branded) model number SK20R7, part number AGSP22Z7 with a 0.7mm gap. They're stock gas plugs.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

They are different - turbo plugs have a gap of 1.1mm, gas are 0.7.

Gas plugs are better for increased boost, as Keith says, to stop spark being blown out. These are what you want:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200973896683?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=8S9VA-FsSJ2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=N4BYE3kzRYW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edit: posted same time as Keith's second post, but same same

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Iridium plugs will generally work better with stock ignition systems. Here's a video that discusses some of the difference, wait around until you see the plugs firing with the lights off.

• Thanks 1

• Member For: 1y 8m 14d

That’s why I’m after some iridium plugs I just didn’t know which ones to get as it’s a turboed NA motor (silver top), would the NGK FR6E-11 be fine? They are the ones NGK say suit a red top.

currently running 10psi on a gt3582 stock xr6 turbo ecu.

heard 0.8mm is the gap to go, opinions on that also?

Thanks for the replies so far 👍

Edited by Bawwxay
Add to post

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

At only 10psi you could go with the stock 1.1mm plugs but they will be a little hit and miss at this boost, they usually start missing around 12psi. This is dependent on ignition timing as well but we don't need to worry about that for now.

Just get the genuine Ford gas plugs and put them in. They are pre gapped to 0.7mm which will be fine. Use whichever ebay seller you prefer, the prices change here and there but should be around the $50 to $60 mark.

• Like 1