sump drain bolts.

Dat111

• Member For: 1y 10m 19d

hey everybody :) 

just brought myself a T, an was wondering why its leaking oil.. on closer inspection the upper bolt is nice an tight, an the lower bolt doesnt seem to be very happy, its tight, but wont do up anymore. 

I understand that it will need to repaired. I have gotten myself a thread repair kit from repco (champion) an was looking on the internet, an seen that the holes are blind an I could potentially use a longer bolt.. has anybody had succeed with it?
(the drain is being replaced anyway, due to the middle also leaking)

also the correct heil coil will by the same size? M8 1.25

Edited by Dat111

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d

I doubt they are through holes. So best you make sure you have the correct length bolt.
Take the drain off and measure the depth of the hole. If you don't have a set of verniers, then you could just use a tooth pic - poke into hole and use your nail or a pen against the side of the tooth pic and the hole to mark the depth.

Then make sure your bolt is no longer than that + the thickness of the flange.

Ok re-reading your post, you say the bolt is tight but it won't do up anymore, but then you mention using a helicoil.

Is the thread busted in the sump flange (cross threaded, stripped etc) or is the bolt too long? A helicoil isn't going to help if the bolt is just too long for the hole....

• Member For: 1y 10m 19d

I havent pulled out the bolt, I havent had a look at the damage just yet. its getting the drain replaced (as its leaking from the sump, an from the flex coupling in the drain (an from the chra end) its going into the mechanics tommorow, 

they look to be stock sized bolts. it just turns when I am trying do it up, (im terrible at explaining stuff)