2009 fg turbo limp mode

Jayden7676

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d

Simple test to rule a few things out. Plumb the turbo signal line straight to the wastegate. It will run off spring pressure and be fine if all ok. Log MAP with your phone and obd2 dongle. If it rises appreciably above spring pressure your wastegate actuator, linkage or flapper is at fault. 

• Member For: 1y 10m 16d

So tested the waste gate and accuator and there running as they should but found the issue and it's real weird , so it keeps hitting over boost , well it thinks it is but isn't,  went for a drive and logged it all, it's hitting a max of 15 pound and the over boost is set at 20 pound ..... so its throwing its self into over boost at 15 pound but shouldn't be as it's set at 20 pound .... same code 

P1277 waste gate failed closed over pressure, 

I've had a bran new turbo fitted and acuator both have been tested today working fine , 

Was having same issue with the old turbo as well is there any sensors I should be looking at? Everything is testing sweet as has us scratching our heads 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

just FYI, there is no MAF on these cars. It's just a T-MAP sensor on the intake manifold. Temperature-Manifold Air Pressure.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Your tuner doesn’t know what he’s doing, sorry, it is what it is 

P1277 - Start here in the tune ! 

Aw that's my bad when I looked up what the p1277 code could be had a list of 

EGR , MAF , SIP, sensors and I just assumed it had them and was gonna replace them all lol , tuner said the sensors were reading fine I just want to replace whatever I can to be safe car has 243xxxkm so things will be getting to that stage they need replacing 

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d

I'm with JET on this. Based on what you've said, desired boost = 20psi and actual = 15psi there is no way that p1227 can be set. Does the MAP sensor spike above 20psi in your data logs when it goes into limp mode? If it isn't then I think a fat finger has got involved by accident or someone didn't know what they were doing and changed the negative boost error numbers to positive which means you'll nearly always trip p1227 once you're 'on boost'. DTC's can be disabled, but this one you'll want to keep as it'll stop your motor grenading itself if the wastegate sticks shut.

No it does not spike above 15 atall super stable at where it is just keeps tripping the p1227 so you could indeed be right,  I'm in nz north island only so much I can do as far as tuning goes , had heaps of people I know go there and have great results one was just last week and he spent the whole next day at track day enjoying him self,  could just be a simple mistake like that yes but as of rn are scratching our heads a bit so well look into whats being suggested,  just looking for some general ideas of where to start the search from . If I could post photos I'd post the code screen only has the one code,