Ba XR6T 2003 Trans cooler

Emoney

• Member For: 1y 10m 18d

Hey fellas new to the site. My first XR6T, it's a ba 03 4speed model, roughly 230ks on it. Just looking for the right Trans cooler to install as I've had the milkshake problems on previous v8falcons but the were the 6speed ZFs. If yous could help me out and even add some other tips or advice to keep my falcon running good that would be much appreciated. Cheers fellas

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

You don't really hear of the BTR in the BA's causing milkshake issues as the transmission cooler is built into the radiator instead of the side of the gearbox like the ZF. Basically it doesn't appear to rust in the same way. If you still need an external cooler for the potential performance benefit, just check the lines and get custom lines/fittings and get any old front-mount sort of transmission cooler that fits in behind the fog-light areas.

• Member For: 11y 8m 26d
On 01/06/2022 at 8:59 AM, k31th said:

You don't really hear of the BTR in the BA's causing milkshake issues as the transmission cooler is built into the radiator instead of the side of the gearbox like the ZF. Basically it doesn't appear to rust in the same way. If you still need an external cooler for the potential performance benefit, just check the lines and get custom lines/fittings and get any old front-mount sort of transmission cooler that fits in behind the fog-light areas.

Although it's not as bad as the heat exchangers it's certainly not a non common issue in the ba btr. Mines done it....sister inlaws has done it and so has a mates. Also I hear it allot at work when people need new radiators due to same issue.

But as you say it is more known in the heat exchanger units especially earlier on in life. 

I've herd of the FG haveing this exact issue with less then 1000ks on clock only a week old even 

Some last 300 000ks aswell

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

a new radiator is way better than the alternative of a lunched gearbox and/or motor :) strange they went away from that design for the ZF's... oh well

• Member For: 1y 10m 18d

Thanks guys for the input. What other mods would yous recommend to avoid future damage to the gearbox and engine? It does have a reconditioned gearbox (less than 1000ks) and I would like to look after it.

Edited by Emoney
Missed some details

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 30d

Respect the 2-3rd WOT shift. After 30,000km of pounding on it she eventually gave up on me in my old BA turbo. Lifting the foot slightly for the shift and in manual mode will go a long way to making it last.