Cracks in exhaust housing bolt holes

jas98

• Member For: 11y 8m 27d

While I was changing the turbo core couple weeks back I seen that I had cracks in all the exhaust housing bolt holes. (as per pic) 

Besides fact bolts mite loosen (which they were tight) would there be any other issues? There is a couple hairline cracks in wastgate hole area aswell. 

But yeah any performance issues with the cracks in bolt holes?

If so...besides genuine garrett exhaust housings what other brands have people used on a stock tune without issues?

IMG_20220515_175059.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

bolt hole cracks can mean the entire housing could basically catastrophically fail at any point in a heat cycle... not good. Best to replace it with another garrett one as I haven't known any aftermarket ones to be any good.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

over all of the heat cycles, some castings fail at the weaker points :idunno:  so some last for decades, some last a few years, some in between. I haven't heard of major failure, so it doesn't often precipitate as quickly as one might think it would, but it can happen and best to avoid it especially if you're pulling a turbo apart at the time.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 15d

I wouldn't be to concerned, I had one of those 6 bolts that continously kept backing out (I assume it's cracked like someone else here has previously said) and when I finally bought some more loctite and just slooged it on I've had no more problems (apart from a missing exhaust manifold to turbine housing bolt missing)...
Mild tune on my F6X reference.