my 03 ba xr6t wont go past 4k revs

Seth

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

A GTX3582R G2 is huge overkill on a BA motor, though... massive rod-bending capability haha ... even the FG turbocharger is more likely to bend a rod than the standard turbocharger at the same boost level, but both are fine with reasonable PSI when compared to an upgrade on the standard BA XR6T turbocharger.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Member For: 2y 4m 18d

Yeah alright well when my car was on the road with the fg turbo I use to be able to flog it and it would give in it loves it and gos real well with the fg turbo on it. But I’ll figure out what I can spend and go with my options from there I guess

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yep, cheapest is to get back to that scenario, assuming the tuner says you can just swap back to the FG turbo and be OK... e.g. sell the current turbo, buy an FG turbo to put on and put it on.

Yeah I think I will go with the cheaper option as I have already brought 2 turbos that are both wrong trying to sell em and get my money back but I have a GTX3584RS with a 12 psi thing on it that I was gonna use to try and make 300+ rwkw but half way though of buying all the supporting mods for it I realised this is way too much money ahahah so I went to go buy what I thought was the stock turbo which it is but the last owner had the fg one on it so it was a huge I <3 Bananas around but oh well sh*t happens. I reckon I mite have to get a sticker saying MONEY PIT as it’s robbing me for all my money ahaha

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Two types of cars generally cost a lot of money... performance cars and old cars :) you bought one that's basically both :) Still, all XR6T's are beasts and you should be right with whichever option you can afford. One thing to think of, too, with regard to XR6T's and mods is to ensure you have the fallback money to replace/repair the engine in the case of a bent rod (which is a possibility with any level of mod on a BA motor).

Yeah I normally do but been a bit hard lately as iv just moved house but I was planning on taking the engine out after the next 12 months anyway to build it to make about 400-500rwkw. But I don’t regret spending money on it as it’s the funnest car I've drove.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

I personally think you're better off getting some larger fuel injectors second hand (42lb would even do it and someone would give them away...) if it doesn't have any and getting a tune. If your intercooler is up to the task then the only thing that may hold you back from a consistent 300rwkw would be valve springs but it's hit and miss and at this stage you need a touch up to the tune (any reputable tuner would run, check and then probably overwrite their own basic BA turbo tune and auto (if it is) gearbox settings to snap your spine on gear shifts to keep it alive no problems and away you go...
It's all about the minimum amount of cash from this point so that's my recommendation otherwise just book a tune as is and go.

You could go full sketchatron and remove the compressor wheel and housing from the rooted turbo (if they aren't chewed up) and install them onto the 3582 you currently have fitted (as long as the turbine is the same but who knows just by texting) and see how that goes? It's a simple job requiring a heatgun and the wheel just slides off at temp... Nut is lefthand thread.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

it's more to do with the actual size of the impeller in millimetres than anything, as it's 53mm (FG variant) versus 61mm (B-series & F6 variant) and that makes a big difference in terms of how the turbo itself can supply air pressure to the engine.

ok sweet so I should be looking for an fg turbo that is a 53mm impeller doesn't matter that its a 6 blade?

it dosent say the size of the wheel anywhere but just by looking dose that look ok to use? ill be emailing them about the specs and stuff as well l though

Screenshot 2022-05-17 131553.png