Turbo problems

Bradley McCahon

• Member For: 2y 2m 12d

Hi all I have a 2013 FG XR6 turbo stock as they come it's done 200000 km and I have had it for 5 or so months absolutely love the thing when going well. Anyway I have something that sounds like a exhaust manifold leak possibly at the back of the motor, once it warms up it seems to go away the sound that is and since I have had this problem my car has lost a lot of power in first gear it's hard to notice any boost 2nd and third pull better but not like it should. If any body Can give me any idea of the problem. I realise if the manifold is leaking the turbo won't be getting as much airflow to spin but the leak seems to go away but still this issue I will do gasket asap or tighten bolts if need just wondering if there is another problem causing the loss of power as the manifold seems to stop leaking and still a loss of power

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

Get it run up on a dyno with a boost pressure measurement to see if you're making the roughly 8-10psi that you should be making. If you're not, you've got a boost leak, not necessarily an exhaust leak. It'd have to be a major exhaust leak to cause a loss of a fair bit of boost.

• Member For: 2y 2m 12d

Yea thanks I was surprised with the loss of power especially since the leak that sound very much like an  exhaust manifold leak does seem to go away after 3 to 5 mins so really wasn't expecting any loss let alone the amount I did my son's NA XR6 FG  leaves me behind till around 100 km. And both these issues started at the same time so since I knew to the turbo scene and know very little about them I am mechanically minded so hopefully I can get up to scratch with a basic understanding of them and there problems