Prototype XR6 Turbo Crossover Manifolds

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 3y 1d

Hi all

First time post here, hopefully this one will be of interest.

I was at a clearing auction in Country Vic and spotted 4  XR6 Turbo Crossover Manifolds in one lot.

A close look left me in no doubt these were prototypes of some sort, and I ended up buying all 4 quite cheaply.

When I picked these up after the auction ended the seller informed me these were indeed prototypes, rescued from a scrap bin by a guy in Ballarat who did a bit of work with Ford including helping out at Bathurst racing a Turbo Falcon in the production class.

Here's what I believe to be the first prototype, note no fittings for PCV, BOV etc, different font and also the word "Intercooler" instead of "Intercooled"

Also there is an indent in the top of the manifold for what surely must have been a Tickford badge. This is cast in.

t7tW9h1.jpg

Here's what I think is the second version, with final font and spelling, but with a grafted in BOV fitting. Still has space for Tickford badge

6c1llFi.jpg

bBcVuJn.jpg

Version 3, more grafted in fittings including BOV, PCV, and a small fitting possibly for a boost gauge? Currently blocked off with pop rivet

929fAtz.jpg

j1HHc4L.jpg

Vk5zALt.jpg

Final production version, with part number. Tickford badge now gone.

cdiNRQj.jpg

i3m4wM5.jpg

I was thinking of bringing down to the Geelong All Ford day in Geelong this April if anyone was interested in having a look up close?

I find these interesting but I'm a bit of a car nerd, what do you guys think?

Cheers Kev

• Like 3

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 21d

All that effort and then they choke the life out of the engine with a 1" ID cast pipe under the battery!
Interesting none the less...

I'll add that back in the early days I did prefer the look of the APS intake at the throttle body, this was before Nizpro released but they were expensive as hell even though I still believe their intercoolers were designed right. No actual facts just my opinion on entry bottom, exit top being the most efficient yet you never see it anymore...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 4y 3m 5d

Don't think I have ever seen 1, and the internet is doing a great job of making sure no one ever finds out about them too!!

I managed to dig up this picture I found on some site ages ago

444.jpg

Edited by BarraT