2009 FORD FG FALCON - AC issue and ABS/DSC/BRAKE FAIL warnings on dashboard

Mitch246

• Member For: 2y 1m 9d

In the space of a few days both my AC has stopped working, and I have also gotten ABS,DSC and BRAKE fail messages every time I turn the car on.

The car still drives normally however its really starting to bug me - especially how its all happened the week I'm due to drive from Sydney to Brisbane lol!

Fault 1 - AC

- So with the AC there is no hot or cold air blowing out at all (fan doesn't even make a noise)

- I have tried every mode, combo, and fan setting and nothing comes out

- The only air I feel is when I press the 'External Air' button and I only feel it when the car is moving (I'm assuming this is just passive air coming in - no fan needed)

- Fuses look fine (checked both the box inside and near the battery for any AC related fuse)

Fault 2 - ABS/DSC/BRAKE FAIL warning messages

- Every time I turn the car on these 3 messages appear

- Taken the battery off for a few mins (didn't clear it)

- ABS related fuses look fine 

Read a few forums and there's a few different recommendations from new batteries, seeing a mechanic and getting fault codes cleared etc....

Anyone fixed either of these before?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 28d

Check if your brake lights work - common problem for the brake switch on the pedal to fail. If the lights don't work, the switch is a cheap and quick fix.

The switch turns the brake light on, but also tells the car that the brakes have been activated. Basically, the car is slowing faster than the computer expects as it doesn't know the brakes are on. So it disables DSC, ABS as it thinks it doesn't have full control of the system.

If the brake lights work, it's not that.

• Like 1

• Member For: 2y 1m 9d

Hey El Andrew,

Cheers for the response - just checked then and yeah the tail/brake lights (Left/Right/spoiler) all work when I press the brake.

Checked indicators and reverse lights to for good measure while I was out.

What's weird though (think I found another fault) is when I turned the headlights on only the RIGHT side tail/brake light turned red. 

The LEFT was completely off.

Yet when I press the brakes again the LEFT tail/brake light turns on - which rules out a broken globe.

Very odd stuff hahah

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 28d

Weird! The FGs definitely hate low voltage so a quality, strong battery is definitely worth having if you don't have one already.

Other than that, could be a bad ground somewhere. You don't have aftermarket tail lamps by any chance? There was someone on here a while back with all sorts of brake light issues but forgot to tell us they had cheapie aftermarket lights and turned out they were playing up.