Squeaky Wheel Diagnosis Help

Blkbty22

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 3y 8m

Hey everyone, can anyone please help brainstorm where this rotational wheel squeak is coming from, as its driving me mental. 

Car: BA XR6T Ute w BTR

Brakes: Standard calipers, DBA T2 Rotors all round and some shiddy

brand new repco pads on front.

This squeak has been present for 8 or so months and seems to emanate from the front left and goes away while brakes are applied, though replaced with a squeal since the repco pads have been in, previous bendix ones did not squeak when applied but still the rotational squeak was there. Brakes have been pulled apart multiple times, new front hub assemblies installed and no abnormalities found amongst any of the brake components im told by a trusted mechanic. I suspected warped rotors but nope..

A few weeks after chucking the pads in the front; the right wheel started making a god awful loud squeak even whilst brakes were not applied. This comes and goes, maybe related to dirt or heat not sure. 

Wondering if its related?

The lil shims on the left seem to rattle going over bumps but not the right, so im wondering if they're bent outta shape/rubbing on something? Should I chuck a bunch of brake goo behind the pads?  

Please help guys.

P.S Alsowhile ive made the post, anyone else heard a knock knock when going around a round about slowly? Been told steering rack is fine but its definitely in that vicinity.

P.PS. Just had centrebearing replaced chasing an intermittent rear end vibration, did not fix it, and it aint the wheel bearings or diff, any ideas welcomed.

Ive spent hours searching for posts and threads by people suffering the same problem but no dice. 

Any input at all is greatly appreciated, hell I may even put up a reward for the info that leads to eliminating this noise. 100 dollarydoos! This figure may increase as my sanity decreases. 

Cheers!

Edited by Blkbty22

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

well, the squeak is definitely changing based on the wheel rotation speed which is got to be something to do with the brake/wheel system that's rotating (something weird like the driveline does also change with speed, but that's less likely based on the sound). I'd jack the car up and move the wheels around until I could pinpoint which area the sound is coming from.

Some glue/grease stuff that you can spray on the back of the pads is a good idea if the pads are moving around a bit in the caliper and will at least be a step towards diagnosing the squeal when you apply the brakes.

If you're getting a knock only on one side going around corners or over bumps, that'll be control arm bushes or ball-joint issues, for sure.

What sort of "intermittent rear-end vibration" are you talking about?

• Member For: 13y 4m 13d
1 hour ago, Blkbty22 said:

Hey everyone, can anyone please help brainstorm where this rotational wheel squeak is coming from, as its driving me mental. 

Car: BA XR6T Ute w BTR

Brakes: Standard calipers, DBA T2 Rotors all round and some shiddy

brand new repco pads on front.

This squeak has been present for 8 or so months and seems to emanate from the front left and goes away while brakes are applied, though replaced with a squeal since the repco pads have been in, previous bendix ones did not squeak when applied but still the rotational squeak was there. Brakes have been pulled apart multiple times, new front hub assemblies installed and no abnormalities found amongst any of the brake components im told by a trusted mechanic. I suspected warped rotors but nope..

A few weeks after chucking the pads in the front; the right wheel started making a god awful loud squeak even whilst brakes were not applied. This comes and goes, maybe related to dirt or heat not sure. 

Wondering if its related?

The lil shims on the left seem to rattle going over bumps but not the right, so im wondering if they're bent outta shape/rubbing on something? Should I chuck a bunch of brake goo behind the pads?  

Please help guys.

P.S Alsowhile ive made the post, anyone else heard a knock knock when going around a round about slowly? Been told steering rack is fine but its definitely in that vicinity.

P.PS. Just had centrebearing replaced chasing an intermittent rear end vibration, did not fix it, and it aint the wheel bearings or diff, any ideas welcomed.

Ive spent hours searching for posts and threads by people suffering the same problem but no dice. 

Any input at all is greatly appreciated, hell I may even put up a reward for the info that leads to eliminating this noise. 100 dollarydoos! This figure may increase as my sanity decreases. 

Cheers!

Mate. Bit of a long shot. But I had a very similar issue. It turned into a very scary rotational knock especially under braking. It was from right side mostly. Turns out it was a cracked mount on the drive shaft at the front. It mightn't be your issue, but double check all mounts and brackets related to diff and shaft.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 3y 8m

@k31th

Thanks for the response. In regards to the knock, I should have mentioned that in the process of chasing it I had the following replaced:

Lower control arms lower ball joints, nolathane upper control arm bush kit, sway bar links and nolathane sway bar mount bushes and struts. 

As for the squeak, I guess ill just try the goo for now. 

This intermittent rear end vibration only started to sing when going over 90 -100 km/h, as times gone on (about a month) it now starts at 70-80 and continues as speed increases and gets slightly louder. I dont believe its a bearing nor does the mechanic as a bearing would start to whirr from a slow roll and increase in volume all the way up to hwy speed right? Diff oil has been changed and no debris was present.

@SydCrazi Sheesh that sounds like a bad time, I would hope that's not the issue as the mechs were just poking around in that area when doing the centre bearing so youd think theyd catch it, I will keep it in mind though thanks mate.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

if you've replaced both ball joins on both sides and all of the control-arm bushes on both sides, then it'll be hard to find a knock like that unless one (or more) of the installs of those items was done incorrectly...

Let us know how you go with the brake-application-squeal.

For the rear-end vibration, it could still be the bearing, it may just not be audible in the cabin at lower speeds, but it does make it less likely... you can confirm it by taking the handbrake & parking-brake off jacking the car up and rotating the rear wheel as fast as you can to see if you can hear/feel anything from underneath. If it's a bearing, you'll hear it. Vibrations at higher speeds that just happen "out of thin air" are often caused by a wheel weight falling off causing the wheel itself to wobble/vibrate which sends vibrations right through the cabin.

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 1y 5m 9d

Hi @Blkbty22,

Did you ever find and fix the cause of the squeaking?
My BA XR6T MKII is making this noise too. The sounds goes away while applying the brakes. However when driving anywhere from 30km/h - 60 km/h you and with objects/walls/barriers close to the side of the road, you can hear this coming from the car (the rear I think) with the windows down.
My mechanics struggle to fix this, though they have fixed it once before a few years ago, it's back now after my last service.

Cheers