T56 identification

BloodBAute

• Member For: 2y 1m 5d

G'day. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to identify whether a T56 is from a turbo or naturally aspirated via the ID tag on the gearbox? I have a 6 speed in my "originally 5 speed" BA and am unsure. 

Tag reads as:

TUET4928 AE J3042

3R23-7003-EB 00550

Cheers.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

well, good news is "3R23" is an identifier for BA.

"7003" is seemingly on all Ford AU Tremec's

not sure what "EB" is in that code... it was "CB" for the Tremec T5 (your original gearbox), so that makes me think it's likely just the next model up, which was the original T56 6-speed replacement for the T5 which was too weak for the turbo variants.

The other bit doesn't make any sense to me.

Got all my information from this post (the irony of it being on an Australia Volvo site haha, but it's definitely quality information).

https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/comment/62223/#Comment_62223

Might be worth giving Mal Wood a call to confirm the details (and of course return here to let us know what you find out).

Thanks for that @k31th. I think you're right in that it's just the 6 speed from the BA series 2. As far as I can find the input shafts for both the NA and turbo gearbox are the same, I need a new clutch and wanted to make sure I wasn't ordering the wrong one.

I managed to find a Tremec Service Bulletin which has a description helping to decipher the tag. Seems the "EB" is the revision level and the rest is part numbers and manufacturing dates etc.

Although it still doesn't help me to work out exactly which gearbox I have it may be useful and help others as well. I'll attach it once I figure out how.

To find the Service Bulletin go to https://www.tremec.com/literatura.php and search for trtb05007

Cheers.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

that TSB is quite helpful:

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/TRTB05007_147.pdf

as per that PDF:

"TUET" is T56/TR6060 for sure. Definitely the 6-speed.

"4948" is the remainder of the Tremec-specific part-number.

"00550" is your serial number of your Tremec hardware.

"AE" is the "Revision Level" (something Tremec could clarify specifically)

J3042 is broken down as a manufacturing date; "J"=September, "30"=30th day, "4"=2004, "2"=2nd shift.

"3R23-7003-EB" is the "Customer Part Number", broken down as above. The "EB" is the only unknown part here, but seemingly irrelevant now that the rest is clarified.

Just as a follow up to this, on another forum someone was able to give further info on the revision numbers which confirm my box is a BA NA box.

"you've decoded the part number right so far, first part is date code. 3R23 2003 (BA), a 5R29 is 2005 BF. 7003 manual trans. the E is the subtype, and B minor revision of that type.

the 6-speeds should be...

G N/A 6's

H or K Turbo 6's

F or J V8's

A T5 n/a 6's in utes

B T5 n/a 6's with ABS in utes

C T5 turbo 6's in utes

D was the TR3650 for V8's

E T5 n/a 6's in sedans."