Tailshaft slip yolk stuck in box.

ken666

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 3m 19d

Hey guys

Has anyone else experienced a slip yolk stuck in the back of a zf 6 speed auto?

I broke the rear shaft where the spline goes into the cv joint on the rear a few days ago and attempted to remove it on the side of the road during the week, and after two separate attempts with bigger and better tools I still was unsuccessful in getting the yolk to pull out of the box.

I ended up having it towed home and I put the rear of the car up on ramps and continued to remove the shaft from the yolk and the gearbox mount bracket etc to give me a clear view of the extension housing and yolk.

I have attempted to pull it out by making a plate that bolts to the yolk and has a pull lug in the centre, then attached a 1.5 tonne chain block to the diff cradle and hooked up the chain and began to load up the chain.

I then used a copper hammer to tap the yolk from the sides, back and even forward to give a sudden shock whilst weight was on the yolk.

But never had any movement whatsoever, so I loaded the chain up until the chain block started to load up to its limits...

Still no movement, and I'm now doing some last minute checks  before beginning the assembly of the replacement shaft and bearing etc and bolting it all to the yolk that's stuck in there.

I can't see it causing any problems, as the shaft needs minimal end float due to the driveline being fixed and fitted with IRS.

I think there is enough end float in the shaft to CV on the diff end.

Any ideas would be great, maybe it's happened to someone here cos my mechanic mate is stumped and has never experienced this in 25 years in the business.

Cheers Ken

IMG-20220215-WA0004.jpeg

IMG20220214172859.jpg

Edited by ken666
Pictures

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 3m 19d

That's very interesting, thanks heaps for this.

I will give it a go tomorrow, Im glad that's all it is I have a puller unit that is almost identical to the one in the link so it won't be difficult at all