Welding external waste gate

SACKED FG

• Member For: 2y 1m 11d

Hi everyone, long time stalker first time poster! 

I'm helping my brother out with his car @biddie_fiddler as it's hit the sh*t a bit lately. I am going to reclaim and re weld the external waste gate from one rear housing to another. I am a welder/fabricator by trade and I weld exotics/alloys as well as regular carbon steels, however I have never cast, let alone steel to cast. My question is going out to those who have done it before, I know that cast needs pre and post heat treatment however I know that no one does that, what filler wires did you use and how did you do it without it cracking? I am thinking I'm going to use inconel wire as it binds nearly every dis similar metals together. Please tell me how you've gone about it?

Edited by SACKED FG

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

I'm glad he convinced you to join us ;)

I've got no idea about welding, though, so I can't help you there. Someone will be able to help you, for sure. The Skid Factory's videos on YouTube might also help you.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
11 minutes ago, SACKED FG said:

I know that cast needs pre and post heat treatment however I know that no one does that

No you don't. People do that.

To be more useful, search through the skid factories YouTube videos, they show the process fairly thoroughly. Post edit: I wrote this wall of text before keefballs replied xD

In other news I welded a cast exhaust manifold 5 years ago with a gasless MIG. It was 100% broken off from the runner. I preheated the fark out of the manifold and sent it. It hasn't leaked yet.

Preheat, weld, let it cool down slowly if you can.

Flamin welders these days :stirthepot:

• Haha 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

That's what I would do. You can google what wire to use if you're curious, I'm sure there would be the right tig wire to use. Youtube will tell you everything lol. I dunno.

I'm sure you know that with tigging dirty metals, you just have to keep at it to get a clean pool. Keep it moving and keep the sh*t moving to the top. Takes farken ages sometimes.

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d
18 hours ago, SACKED FG said:

I ❤️ Bananas

Soz bro you can't say f*ck on this forum, its coded by snowflakes ;) 

I have watched the skid factory vids since Al went his own way down the yt road with woody. I know for a fact there is detailed videos about how to weld cast, but for the life of me I can't seem to find the right ones 🤦‍♂️ 

EDIT:
I didn't even know you joined the forums last night ahahahahah

Its legit a billion times better than the FB pages/groups. People here seem to know wtf they are talking about lol and give you help and/or constructive criticism rather than just sh*tting all over you

Edited by biddie_fiddler
Realisation

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d
On 17/02/2022 at 5:49 PM, SACKED FG said:

Hi everyone, long time stalker first time poster! 

I'm helping my brother out with his car @biddie_fiddler as it's hit the sh*t a bit lately. I am going to reclaim and re weld the external waste gate from one rear housing to another. I am a welder/fabricator by trade and I weld exotics/alloys as well as regular carbon steels, however I have never cast, let alone steel to cast. My question is going out to those who have done it before, I know that cast needs pre and post heat treatment however I know that no one does that, what filler wires did you use and how did you do it without it cracking? I am thinking I'm going to use inconel wire as it binds nearly every dis similar metals together. Please tell me how you've gone about it?

The exhaust housing is cast steel not cast iron. It'll weld fine without pre and post heat but if you have the facilities preheat is the go.

Heat it to 200 deg, weld it and then wrap it in heap of old welding gauntlets (you should have plenty being in the trade) and let it cool down at its own rate.

Ive done heaps with and without preheat and haven't had one crack yet. The temps the turbine housing gets to in operation is good for normalising and stress relieving the weld once it's in service

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1