Turbo advice

rapidyellowxr6t

• Member For: 2y 2m 6d

New member here.

I have a BF t56 xr6t that is currently going through the bolt on mod phase. 

Recently I have discovered that my rear housing is damaged and effecting the wastegate from opening and closing properly and also that my turbo core is stuffed on my factory 3582. I want to know what are some budget friendly options people have gone with for replacing these parts. I have considered buying a pulsar gtx3582 turbo however my tuner indicated that the compressor housing can rotate causing the actuator to not work properly and become 'lazy' and advise going external gate with that set up. A second opinion from another shop suggested going for the aeroflow 6662 (3582) replacement however I can not find much information about these units online if they are any good. The other direction I have investigated is buying another after market rear housing (aeroflow, pulsar) and rebuilding my current turbo with a pulsar CHRA drop in. I am after some advice on which direction to go in for an IWG set up that will work effectively and will not blow my budget out anymore than it already has. I am not chasing big power as I have a BF 1 engine and do not want to bend a rod. 

Cheers 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

just go with whichever upgrade fits in your budget and your tuner is happy with, realistically, as they're all good options as long as the boost can be controlled properly with your relevant mods.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 17d

It depends where you want to go with it

If you have a stock vehicle then get a stock replacement turbo.

Your injectors will be the limiting factor right now, so there is no point getting a beasty turbo.

You'll need a tune for a different spec turbo, so that coupled with injectors, fuel pump, etc will be a huge layout for a max of 320rwkw.

Don't waste your money on a skinny rod motor.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 9m 17d

I'm a big fan of the factory GT3582R to be honest. Amazing response and power potential. It's hard to beat to 400kw on e85. The pulsar and aeroflow turbos seem pretty good too, they probably make sense from a cost perspective when you're looking to upgrade

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 9m 29d
9 hours ago, rapidyellowxr6t said:

Is there any feedback on the aeroflow units ? They seem pretty decent for the price but can’t find any information regarding them 

Some info about Aeroflow turbos in here:

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/84077-jets-tuning-oh-no/?tab=comments#comment-1364990

Your going to have to look for it but JET thinks they are pretty good. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I've run both aeroflow and pulsar and they seem to be pretty decent. Boost control isn't great with the pulsar 3584rs, I've run one stock and another ported to my specs, the stock is sh*te and ported is great.

I've been running a larger aeroflow unit for quite a while, and the only issue I've had so far is the compressor back plate came loose. Makes bulk power for not a lot of money.

I would definitely recommend either for testing the waters, as the price is hard to beat.

Main thing I'd keep an eye on is matching the turbo to your engines hp capability, which I mentioned in my first post.

• Member For: 2y 2m 6d

Yeah I’m not planning on putting much of my money into this engine. A rebuild with forged internals could come later down the track, I just want something affordable that works so I can drive my car as I enjoy it. Are you running the aeroflow rear housing? I am wondering if that will need a port job or not, I understand it comes with a 32mm waste gate.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

My current aeroflow is much bigger than stock and externally gated, so not comparable.

Whether it not it needs a port job depends on how free flowing the exhaust is. I've put a stock pulsar gtx3584rs on my car with a straight through 4 inch, and it couldn't control the boost at all. I've put the same turbo on another car with a straight through 3 inch exhaust, with my port job, and the boost control was perfect.

By all means get the pulsar GTX version, but if your tuner is worried about it coming loose, get them to remove the comp and turbine housing bolts and Loctite them. Considering they are the one tuning it, it's up to them if they want/need a port job or not. 

If you're 100% gonna build it then get a bigger turbo. If not, stick to stock size or a gtx3582r at most.

My 2c, I'm sure other have their own opinions :)

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 3y 11m 30d

I'm running an aeroflow 6662 with all the other bolt on supporting mods, currently running 393rwkw but I find it quite laggy, it doesn't come on boost till around 3800rpm, my mate has the pulsar gtx3584 and really likes it, comes on about 1000rpm earlier, I've only been running the aeroflow for about 3000kms but I'm definitely not happy with it and will be changing it up as soon as funds are good enough to do so