Tuning on Barra territory

Pablo

• Member For: 2y 2m 25d

Hey guys just wondering what’s the best custom plug-in chip for a Barra as I live roughly 6 hours to the nearest tuning shop that has a roller dyno (will have valve springs, walbro 460 lph pump, 1000cc injectors, high flow cat, front mount, 12 psi waste gate actuator) or is it worth the drive to do it in a shop 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

It's always worth it to drive to get it done at a shop... there's a long learning curve to tuning a falcon yourself and the equipment ain't cheap.

• Member For: 2y 2m 25d

Yeah I wouldn’t dare try do it myself but I was just wondering if there is a chip like the j3 chips for the intechs we’re you tell them what mods you have and they tune it to spec 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

You can do that with a flash box like an SCT unit or otherwise, but make sure your tuner is happy with that arrangement and don't get a "generic" tune as they tend to make motors not last very long. Basically speak to them about what they prefer and suits your budget and go with that.

• Member For: 3y 4m 11d

I learnt and still am learning how to tune these turbo Barra’s via pcm tec . If keep reading the forums and all off the info threads , you will eventually understand it ! But it takes a looong time and possibly motor destroying mistakes that u learn from or near misses . But pcm tec is the way to go ! A tuner basically has a couple of hours to tune a car . In which most will do a good job . But it’s no where near perfect! I flashed my TT must be 30-40 plus times and am now just bout happy with it ! 
Main thing once you change out your injections . Is first make sure your fuel pressure is 4 bar and you buy quality matched injectors with good data with your high / low slope , offset figures! If you load all this info right in the pcm tec . Rest is only fueling and timing . You will need a wide band fuel gauge or u will blow her up ! Watch your timing via pcm tec Ave spark or knock on your data log . 

it’s very scary at first ! Only run 7psi gate first as it’s very forgiving at that boost to a point ! 
but once learnt and mastered at that boost ! It’s great fun road dynoing ( or a proper dyno if u can get one ?) and turning up the boost as saying to yourself “ this thing is just nuts !” 

• Like 1