Trans cooler thermal bypass

hjtrbo

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Is it a ZF?

If so, I'd bypass the factory heat exchanger altogether. They warm up pretty quick and remember these things went into cars operating in extreme sub zero temperatures. That way you won't risk a milkshake. Saves you mucking around with the thermal bypass too.

I put a fan with a thermo switch and manual ovveride on my external cooler. To be honest though it probably doesn't need the fan unless you are tracking the car. I think my thermo switch has died and I only use the manual switch if it's getting a serious flogging through the twisty stuff .

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d

Yeah its a ZF.

Just looking at some data logs going back to winter. I currently have the HX bypassed and am running straight to the external cooler which is mounted down the back (ute). In winter trans temp never exceeds 65°C. Summer temps are good at around 70-95°C. So what I'm looking to achieve is a narrower range of temperature all year round. Ideally 82 to 92°C based on the switch points of the cooler bypass valve and fan thermostat plus some hysteresis and dead time.

How about this...

image.thumb.png.98b3d8b86cce4ec36ebd9fd86195d9a4.png

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

That’s how I would do it if you’re concerned about warm up time and maintaining a narrow band of temp, All of which isn’t necessary unless you’re in extreme negative temp areas. If your coldest mornings are 0* without major snow/frost the ZF will warm the fluid at an acceptable rate per minute as the fluid will always maintain around 10* above ambient when as low as 0* ( so starting point 10* oil T ) :) 

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d

Hey @JETURBO what I was finding in winter the trans wouldn't adapt when I made changes to shift pressures unless I cained the f@ck out of it and got it hot. The purpose of this mod is to keep it in what I think is an 'adapt temp enable zone'. Cheers. 

Edited by hjtrbo

• 11 months later...