BF xr6 turbo Boost solenoid NOISE issue

XRBOY85

• Member For: 2y 2m 26d

Hello everyone

I have a xr6 turbo bf MK2 and the boost solenoid is making a buzzing noise/rattling when I turn the key ignition on to when I am priming the fuel pump and the noise is still there and also when the car starts up

when I disconnect the plug from the boost solenoid it goes away so it is confirmed it is the boost solenoid

I purchased a new boost solenoid one from ford and it still does the same thing as stated above

I have not checked if its the wiring or voltages as of yet or if its in the tune 

here is the video link of video of the noise from the boost solenoid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoNQqqmz1UQ&ab_channel=ramgeo

any ideas or is it normal but does not sound right

any help would be great 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

wow, that's nuts... sounds like the solenoid is being switched on and off around a hundred times per second... (probably less than that, but you get my point)

I'd be getting the wiring to the solenoid checked asap, as it'll just chew through new solenoids doing that as they're not designed for that sort of operation.

I had bought it just recent the car and was tuned from previous owner but didnt notice it that much when driving at all until I just turned the key to just before starting it to crank then can hear it doing that noise from the solenoid

Car drives great normal everything but when it goes to boost up say over 12-14 psi to full throttle it starts to cut out like a overboost maybe or jerky cut out 

Maybe I should just disconnect the plug from the solenoid and just drive it for now

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

If you disconnect the solenoid you'll likely boost to the moon and be in a real-life engine-explosion zone... you don't want to do that.

If you re-route the hose that goes from the front of the turbocharger to the solenoid to go to the wastegate actuator instead, then you get minimum spool and a maximum boost level of the rating of the wastegate, which is an adequate temporary workaround to boost problems.

• Like 1

Ok thanks was going to do that also and just cruise around for now and maybe see a mechanic/tuner as could be voltage tune related or a electrical issue

Thought maybe someone would have had a similar issue on that noise or would know