Billet Compressor Wheel Upgrade?

SydCrazi

• Member For: 13y 4m 12d

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wondering if anyone has had experience in upgrading just their compressor wheel. I'm seeing a lot of adds (and they are wearing me down to purchase point, but I will continue resistance) where I can upgrade from 7 blade wheel to billet 11 blade wheel with reverse tip small blades for more puff up top?

Seems to me you would only upgrade if you are getting close to maxing out the psi of existing setup, I don't see how efficiency gains would warrant such an exercise.

:icon_ford:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

I've upgraded a stock ba/bf 3582 to a gtx comp wheel and 0.7 housing. There was a little bit of difference and the car felt better with slightly more lag.

I'd imagine just a comp wheel swap on it's own would do 2/3s of fark all.

If you're getting to the point of buying something, get a pulsar 3584rs. It'll be a decent jump from a stock turbo, is nice and cheap and will support plenty of power for many mods to come.

@Puffwagon 2/3rds of fark all :mosking: Ahhh got to love that metric... Haha..

Had a feeling it'd be a Beez 🐝 d!ck difference.. I'll just upgrade whole Turbo if need be, may as well go external wastegate and screamer too while I'm at it 😁🤟

Edited by SydCrazi

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

A guy back in the day upgraded the stock GT3582R from a .5 front cover (stock) to a .7 front cover and made enough power to just barely into the high 9's with all of the relevant supporting mods. :) That was wringing the turbo's neck, of course, but still, a worthwhile upgrade in certain circumstances.

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

@Puffwagondid you go to 11 blade gen 1 comp wheel or 10 blade gen 2 wheel? I'm thinking of buying a gen 2 supercore. Or getting my gt3582r comp housing bored out to fit either gen 1 wheel or gen 2 wheel. I havnt seen any real life gen 1 vs gen 2 comparisons apart from garrett rhetoric saying gen supposed to be 10 % better. Aus Automotive on YouTube got a gen 1 put on his g6et and it looks like it spools hard out.

@Slowxr6t to quote @Puffwagon apparently changing the wheel does 2/3rds of fark all. However seeing as your Turbo is out and getting worked on, you may as well. I've been led to believe blade count is not that important it's overall design. Hopefully you can get some real world feedback and go with that. Also look into reverse fins etc and their effect. Good luck and please post results 🤟

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d
On 24/12/2021 at 7:43 AM, SydCrazi said:

upgrading just their compressor wheel.

You said only the compressor wheel, nothing about the compressor housing. This means it's the same size hence doing fark all.

47 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

Did you go to 11 blade gen 1 comp wheel or 10 blade gen 2 wheel?

I used the gen 1 wheel as the gen 2 wasn't out then, which is bigger than the stock Ford wheel and makes more difference in power. I also had to get my gt housing machined to fit. The gen 2 wheel is much bigger at 66mm, makes much more power and comes on roughly 800rpm later.

I actually bought a gen 2 supercore when they first came out and fitted that to my ported and flapperised Ford turbine housing. On E85 I made 503awkw at 23psi in my territory. I never ran the gen 1 setup on E85 so can't compare numbers but I think it would max out in the low to mid 400's.